These No-Bake Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars are easy to make, require no baking and are full of caramel and chocolate – almost like a homemade Twix. Everyone will love them!
No bake desserts are great for when you don’t have any free oven space – and these shortbread bars are especially delicious. For more no bake desserts, see my No Bake Oreo Truffles, my No Bake Peanut Butter Bars or my No Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Pie!
See these Millionaire Shortbread Bars?? 👆🏻
Here’s a secret: They’re made with store-bought shortbread cookies.
Because let’s face it: We can’t always make everything from scratch (or do you make your own graham crackers to make a graham cracker crust? 🙈)
Watch the Millionaire’s Shortbread Video Tutorial:
Well, I used to believe I could make everything from scratch.
Enter pregnancy. Scratch all my prior principles. And now with 3 kids? I’ll happily take the store-bought cookies for these Millionaire-worthy bars 😉
These Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars
- are easy to make (no baking required!) with store-bought shortbread cookies, condensed milk caramel and a layer of chocolate
- taste like a homemade Twix bar!
- come out extremely dangerous, because it’s SO easy to eat the entire pan… All by yourself 😅
Sometimes, shortcuts are seriously amazing. And since shortbread crumbles and butter make the perfect base for these gorgeous things – why bother making your own?
(And also Walkers make the best shortbread ever (no ad, I just love them!), I ordered these from Amazon in this recipe*)
For homemade shortbread, see my Peanut Butter Shortbread Cookies!
How to Make Millionaire’s Shortbread:
Read on for the detailed steps, or scroll down for more tips to make this recipe foolproof and the printable recipe card.
1 – First, you’ll make the base (because each layer needs to chill in the fridge to firm up before you can add the next layer):
Process the shortbread into crumbs, then mix it with melted butter and press it into a lined pan.
I usually do this in a food processor – just pulse a few times and your base is ready. I have a Breville food processor that’s an amazing workhorse!
Then simply chill the base until firm, no baking required!
2 – Make the caramel: Simply stir together brown sugar, butter and condensed milk.
Do make sure to use the sweetened condensed milk and NOT evaporated milk, because the evaporated milk takes a lot longer to turn into caramel.
As soon as the caramel is thick, golden-brown and shiny, pour it over the hardened cookie base.
Chill until firm – don’t rush this or the caramel and chocolate layers will mix!
3 – Make the chocolate layer: Super easy, just melt semi-sweet chocolate chips with a little bit of butter (for extra shine!), pour over the firm caramel base and chill until everything is firm.
Then slice to serve (or make it one slice and serve yourself 😂)
Tips for the BEST Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars
- I only tested these with Walker’s Shortbread*, so If you use a different brand you may see different results
- some commenters have noted that the caramel never thickened for them. This is most likely due to brand differences, or due to using evaporated milk instead of condensed milk. As a little troubleshooting if your caramel won’t thicken, put it back on high heat (be careful not to burn it!) and let it get bubbly until you notice it starts thickening. Then you can turn the heat back down.
- feel free to use your favorite chocolate chips for the topping, we like semi-sweet best but milk chocolate or dark chocolate work, too
How do you store these bars?
I like to store them in the fridge for around 5 days, because there they keep best.
But do make sure to remove them around 30 minutes before serving, because they taste best at room temperature (they’re quite hard to chew when they’re completely chilled).
You can also freeze them for up to 3 months, if you want to make them ahead.
More Caramel Recipes You’ll Love:
- Crock Pot Bread Pudding with Caramel Sauce
- Salted Dark Chocolate Caramel Rice Krispie Treats
- Cranberry White Chocolate Fudge Oatmeal Bars
And if you liked these recipes, there’s plenty more to make family meals easier for you! Be sure to join my FREE recipe circle here to get easy recipes by email.
I LOVE interacting with you and hearing about your experience with my recipe. Also, by adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Savory Nothings grow and get even better for you!
No-Bake Millionaire’s Shortbread Bars Recipe
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
For the Base
- 10.5 ounces shortbread cookies processed to crumbs
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter
For the Caramel Layer
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 ounces condensed milk make sure to use the sweetened stuff
For the Chocolate Layer
- 7 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
To Make the Base
- Grease a 8×8 square baking pan well. Add the cookie crumbs to a bowl. Melt the butter and stir it into the crumbles until everything is wet. Press the shortbread mixture into the pan in an even layer. Refrigerate until firm.
To Make the Caramel Layer
- Add all caramel ingredients to a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until thickened while stirring often. Pour over the hardened shortbread base and refrigerate again until cold (else the chocolate will mix with the caramel).
To Make the Chocolate Layer
- Melt the chocolate together with 1 tablespoon butter. Pour over the caramel layer and refrigerate until hardened. Cut into bars.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
One more thing before you head off… If you need more easy recipes in your life, make sure you’re one the Savory Nothings eMail list! You can click here to sign up.