Instant Pot Beef Barley Soup
- a plate to set aside the browned beef
- wooden cooking spoon
- 2 pounds beef cubed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 stalks celery sliced
- 4 carrots peeled and sliced
- 1 15- oz can diced tomatoes
- 6 – 7 cups beef broth
- 4 small waxy potatoes diced
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Brown Beef: Season beef well with salt and pepper. Set instant pot to "sauté" and heat oil in it, then brown the beef in 2-3 batches. Set aside on a plate.
- Sauté vegetables: Stir onion and garlic into the instant pot and sauté until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the celery and carrots and cook for one more minute. Switch off instant pot and add the meat and remaining ingredients (EXCEPT for the peato pot. Stir very well to release any browned bits from the bottom of the pot.
- Pressure cook: Close the lid and set the valve to the “sealing” position. Pressure cook for 15 minutes. Do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes, then manually release any remaining pressure according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Finish soup: Once you have opened the pot, stir the peas into the soup. Set the instant pot to "sauté" and cook for two more minutes, then serve hot.
- use sliced green beans in place of the celery stalks
- if you have kids who are picky about bits of onion (ask me how I know…), replace it with 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder and an extra chopped celery stalk
- for a delicious flavor twist, use 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning in place of the thyme called for in the recipe