These Pineapple BBQ Chicken Kabobs are as easy as summer is meant to be: Simply flavor the chicken and vegetables with your favorite BBQ sauce and pineapple juice, then throw on the grill.
There are people who hate fruit with their meat.
Weird, I know.
I’m definitely in camp “love it!”, and so is my entire family. Lucky for them, or else they’d just have to put up with it 😉
The great thing about kabobs is that you can pretty much thread anything on skewers, marinate them and then throw them on the BBQ for a few minutes. Dinner is done!
Plus, the kids just LOVE food on sticks. Whenever they see me getting out the skewers, they start cheering. Maybe I need to try putting spinach on sticks?! 😂
Anyway. Here we’re using lean chicken and all the Hawaiian BBQ fixings: Red and green pepper, pineapple, red onion – and a hefty dose of BBQ sauce, obviously!
How to Make Pineapple BBQ Chicken Kabobs:
How long do you marinate chicken for?
I prefer to marinate chicken for 30 minutes, max.
You could obviously safely marinate for up to overnight in the fridge, but in my experience chicken dries out with a long time in marinade.
Which makes this perfect for flying-by-the-seat-of-your-pants kind of people 😉
How long do you grill chicken kabobs?
I prefer using medium heat for 12-15 minutes for chicken kabobs.
Everything is kind of delicate on this skewer, so this makes sure you end up with chicken that’s done, but not charred beyond recognition.
Can you bake these pineapple bbq chicken kabobs?
You sure can!
Bake them on a foil-lined baking sheet at 450°F for around 15 minutes. Brush them with marinade halfway through, and right at the end.
What do you serve with pineapple bbq chicken?
If it’s super hot out, I will do corn on the grill and serve with a creamy coleslaw.
If we’re having the kabobs on a cooler day, I often opt for a side of rice and a creamy cucumber salad.
Oh and about that fruit and meat together kind of thing… If you happen to have a kid who really, really LOVES the combo… Double the pineapple.
Trust me 😉
Pineapple BBQ Chicken Kabobsmade it? tap the stars to add your rating!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (cut into cubes)
- 2 small green peppers (cut into 1.5 inch squares)
- 2 small red peppers (cut into 1.5 inch squares)
- 1 red onion (cut into chunks)
- 2 cups pineapple chunks (canned or fresh both work)
- ¾ cup barbecue sauce
- 3 tablespoons pineapple juice (use juice from can, or drippings from slicing fresh pineapple)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Assemble kabobs: Thread chicken, both peppers, onion and pineapple chunks alternately on skewers.
- Marinate: Whisk together barbecue sauce, pineapple juice and soy sauce. Place the kabobs in a shallow dish and brush with about ⅓ of the marinade (make sure to spoon it out first and then brush it on, do not dip the dirty brush back into the fresh marinade). Marinate in the fridge for 15-20 minutes.
- Grill: Place kabobs on a lightly oiled grill over medium heat. Grill for 12-15 minutes (or until chicken is done and vegetables are tender), turning often, and brushing with the remaining marinade.