I love a good quinoa salad on a hot summer day! My favorite combination is this one: With tomato, avocado, pine nuts and a simple homemade dressing that’s unbelievably good.
Can you even remember the quinoa-free western world? Seems ridiculous to even think about it now. The super healthy grain that’s not actually a grain and nobody knew how to pronounce a few years ago… And it’s SO good in a salad!
Ingredients you’ll need
Here is an overview of the ingredients I used. Skip to the recipe for quantities.
- quinoa: I use regular old quinoa, but you can use red or try-color in place of it.
- pine nuts: you can skip the pine nuts if you prefer, or substitute slivered almonds.
How I make it
First I cook the quinoa, then I make up the dressing and chop the salad stuff as the quinoa cooks.
Then – GENIUS – I don’t even wait for the quinoa to cool. I put it in a fine mesh sieve and rinse it under cold water. Drain well, throw in a bowl with everything else and your salad is done.
I only recommend storing this salad without the avocado. If you need to make it ahead of time, leave out the avocado. Store the salad in the fridge. well covered, for up to 3 days.
Add the avocado right before serving! You might also need to add a little more oil and lemon juice.
I just love summer: Simple meals, salad for dinner… Makes life so easy, especially when I’m busy with fun summer activities all day long. I do hope you’ll give this healthy little salad a try, it’s truly one of our favorites!
More salad recipes
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Quinoa Salad with Tomato and Avocado
- 1 ½ cups quinoa cooked according to package directions and rinsed under cold water to cool
- 1 pound tomatoes diced
- 2 small avocados cubed
- ½ cup pine nuts toasted
- 1 handful fresh basil finely sliced
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2 lemons juice only
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon runny honey
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt or more to taste
- pepper to taste
- Put all dressing ingredients in a small jar and shake it until creamy.
- To assemble the salad, carefully mix all ingredients in a large bowl. Add the dressing and continue mixing until everything is evenly coated.