Lemon Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake: The best recipe to serve to unexpected guests! Easy with a cake mix and still so tasty – nobody will ever know!
I don’t know about you but I’m a huge fan of cake. And a gigantic fan of anything lemon and/or blueberry.
How this cake works
Just look at that crumb topping! How are blueberries with streusel ever not delicious? I mean this Streusel Topped Blueberry French Toast Casserole totally proves my point.
It’s going to take you one box of lemon cake mix plus four other ingredients and one bowl to lemon blueberry coffee cake bliss.
Drizzling with your favorite lemon glaze after baking is entirely optional – but highly recommended!
The really, truly amazing thing about this cake is that you make a huge bowl of buttery crumbles first and then use part of that mix to make your cake batter.
The leftovers go right on top of the cake as the streusel – no extra step required!
Recipe tips and tricks
- If you don’t have boxed lemon cake mix, yellow cake mix works, too. Add some lemon zest if you like.
- You can replace the sour cream with Greek yogurt. The cake will be less rich but still delicious.
- Feel free to use any berries you like in place of the blueberries! Strawberries should be diced.
More blueberry recipes
- Buttermilk Blueberry Scones
- Easy Blueberry Cobbler
- Sheet Pan Blueberry Pancakes
- Blueberry Oatmeal Muffins
Lemon Blueberry Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- 1 (16.5 ounce) box lemon cake mix
- ¾ cup cold butter
- ⅔ cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup blueberries fresh or frozen
- your favorite lemon glaze optional
- Preheat the oven to 360°F (180°C). Grease a 7 x 11 inch (18 x 28 cm) baking pan well.
- Add the cake mix to a large bowl and mix in the butter with your fingertips until it’s evenly distributed and small crumbs are forming. Set aside ¾ cup of the crumbs.
- Add the sour cream and eggs to the remaining crumb mixture and beat in with an electric mixer until smooth, about 2-3 minutes. Pour into the prepared pan. Evenly sprinkle first the blueberries and then the crumbs you set aside over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan before drizzling with the glaze (if you want to) and cutting to serve.