Triple Berry Icebox Cake is a delicious summer treat! The perfect red white blue dessert for your 4th of July party.
So, I live in a house without air conditioning.
Which is why I keep baking to either the wee morning hours OR out of the house entirely during the hot summer months.
But it’s a perfect excuse to make allll the no-bake treats while I keep my oven turned off for the season.
How to make a Triple Berry Icebox Cake
What kind of crackers or cookies do you use for an icebox cake?
My favorite are definitely classic graham crackers!
But if you prefer/don’t have graham crackers on hand, you can also use shortbread, Nilla wafers…
Or even Oreos!
Hint: if you want to make this Keto/low carb/diabetes friendly?
You can make your own sugar free and low carb graham crackers! I used this recipe because it has great taste and color and is fairly easy to make. I made a double batch to make sure I have enough.)
How do you make the cream filling?
There’s two ways to make the cream filling: From scratch or with frozen whipped topping.
I do usually make it from scratch because I love nothing more than homemade whipped cream.
I have a great tutorial here: How to Make Whipped Cream.
Fun fact: When I made this dessert to photograph it for the blog, my BEATERS BROKE. Oh my gosh, why. I had to whip the cream by hand with a whisk and it was such a workout, haha!
If you’re suffering from food allergies or are making a dessert for someone with Diabetes, you can use a sugar alternative in your homemade whipped cream.
But if you’re short on time/not that bothered about making everything from scratch, you can absolutely take the convenient route and use whipped topping.
How to layer and chill the cake:
Finally, all you have to do is layering the graham crackers, cream filling and mixed summer berries in a 9×13 pan.
Start by covering the bottom of the pan with a thin layer of cream filling, a layer of graham crackers, 1/3 of the cream filling and most of the berries.
As you can see in the photo, I had to resort to frozen raspberries inside the cake – *somebody* had snuck most of the fresh raspberries off the counter!
Then pack on another 1/3 of the cream filling…
… and finish with a layer of graham cracker and the remaining cream filling. Make sure you have some berries left to decorate the top.
Then, chill the cake for at least 4 hours, better overnight. This will allow the cream filling to set and the graham crackers to soften – my favorite part!
I recommend freezing the cake for about 30 minutes before serving it, that way you get the cleanest slices.
Triple Berry Icebox Cake
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream well chilled
- 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar or your favorite sweetener
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 oz full fat cream cheese softened
- 1 16-oz box graham crackers (or use the low carb recipe mentioned in the post above for an allergy/dietary friendly dessert)
- 3 cups fresh summer berries rinsed and carefully dried
- Make cream filling: Place the heavy whipping cream in a large clean bowl and, using a handheld mixer with the beater attachment, whip to soft peaks on medium speed. Add the confectioner's sugar and vanilla and continue whipping slowly until the cream is fluffy, increased in volume and sticks to the bowl if you slightly tilt it. Fold whipped cream and softened cream cheese together.
- Assemble the dessert: Layer in 9×13 pan:1. A little cream filling (just to cover the bottom)2. Graham crackers3. 1/3 of the cream mix4. 2 1/2 cups berries5. 1/3 of the cream mix6. Graham crackers7. Remaining cream mix8. Decorate with remaining berries
- Chill overnight or at least 4 hours. For easiest slicing, freeze for 30-60 minutes before serving.