Lemon Herb Marinated Grilled Vegetables: These tasty grilled and marinated vegetable antipasti are perfect for your next summer BBQ!
My grandma is the sweetest person ever.
She’s probably also the most exhausting human being on this planet.
When she fractured her hip a few months ago Branimir and I went by weekly to check up on her.
Since she wasn’t able to get groceries we thought it would be a good idea if we went shopping for her.
Now my grandma is a picky eater by nature.
She lives on a farm and her diet consists mostly of eggs her hens are laying and potatoes and vegetables growing in her garden.
But we thought we’d give it a shot.
Well, well, well… Big mistake.
In the end we were allowed to leave a stick of butter and a hunk of Swiss cheese in her fridge (I just want to note here that there was already a lot of butter and cheese in the fridge to begin with. A week later it was all gone. My grandma must be inhaling butter on cheese…).
All the yogurt, bread and meat we bought ended up in our own fridge.
And it wasn’t like there was much available to her (apart form the aforementioned butter and cheese).
Though my aunt had actually taken care of her lunches, having them delivered by the local restaurant.
And my gran’s reaction?
Every week we’d find her sitting in front of her plate, clutching her stomach, sipping tea and complaining about the awful, awful food.
And then the chickens would get creamy salmon pasta for lunch.
Luckily gran recovered quickly from the fracture (all the butter and cheese I guess…?) so we will have no trouble celebrating her 81. birthday next week.
But she will probably have to bring her own food. She did surprise us last summer on her 80. birthday though.
Her children had been planning a big birthday party for her and Branimir and I did all the catering.
There was a lot of italian pasta salad and potato salad involved to go along the grilled meat.
But the biggest hit (read: even my grandma liked it!) were the grilled vegetables.
Those simple grilled veggies tossed in a fragrant mix of olive oil and herbs were gone in an instant.
Make them for your next summer BBQ and everyone will love you!
Happy Birthday Grandma!
Here’s the printable Lemon Herb Marinated Grilled Vegetables recipe:
Lemon Herb Marinated Grilled Vegetables
- 1 eggplant cut into thick rounds
- 2 zucchinis cut into thick slices
- 2 red bell peppers quartered
Lemon Herb Marinade
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- Bunch of your favorite mixed herbs chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- On parchment paper lay out the cut vegetables and salt generously. Leave for at least 30 minutes to drain excess water.
- To make the marinade, mix all ingredients together in a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat your grill and grease it well. Dry vegetables with paper towels before brushing them well with marinate. Heat your grill and grease it well. Grill the vegetables about 2-3 minutes per side (this will take some time depending on how many slices you got out of your vegetables).
- Drizzle the grilled vegetables with the remaining marinade, making sure everything is evenly coated and arrange on a plate.