Make this Easy Sautéed Zucchini when you need a simple and healthy side dish the whole family will enjoy. It’s quick to whip up and so flavorful – and you can add parmesan cheese to make it even more delicious!
I love having lots of options for easy vegetable side dishes up my sleeve, and this is the perfect recipe for the abundance of summer zucchini. For more easy vegetable side dishes, see my Sautéed Green Beans or my Roasted Asparagus.
I don’t know if I’m the odd one out, but I LOVE vegetables. I’ve always loved them. Not all of them, but certainly all of the delicious ones 😉
But with a bunch of kids and a busy life, it’s the one thing I tend to forget about. And then I throw some unseasoned cucumber or carrot sticks at my kids, which works occasionally, but is a little uninspiring after a while.
This year I swore I wouldn’t serve all the vegetables coming from the garden in a boring way, ha! And with my zucchini plant going crazy, I’m definitely glad I have such an easy recipe for a zucchini side dish up my sleeve.
This Easy Sautéed Zucchini
- is quick to make with just a handful of simple ingredients
- makes a wonderful side dish that’s packed with flavor
- is naturally gluten free, low carb and Keto friendly
While I often make one dish meals these days (SO much easier!), my family does enjoy a classic square meal – especially my 5 year old who is going through the “foods can’t touch” stage. Sigh.
For her I make it a point to make sure some of our meals have all separate components, but those components need to be EASY. Or else dinner is going to be three hours late, ahem.
How to Sautée Zucchini:
Read on for the detailed steps, or scroll down for more tips to make this recipe foolproof and the printable recipe card.
► 1 Prep: First, you’re going to have to slice your zucchini. No need to peel it! Just trim the ends and then slice it into even rounds. I like picking my zucchini when they’re on the small side and I slice them fairly thin, so they cook faster. About 1/4 inch thick slices is what we like best.
Also mince some garlic (and grate some parmesan cheese, if you want to use it and refuse to buy pre-grated.)
► 2 Sauté: You’ll have to add some olive oil to a medium-large skillet. I use my cast iron a lot for vegetable sides.
Click here to see a similar cast iron skillet to the one I have! (This is an affiliate link and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.)
Add some olive oil to the skillet over medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes or until it starts smelling very garlicky.
Add the zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until softened. Try to avoid moving it around too much, or it will get mushy and fall apart. It’s also important to not overcook the zucchini, or again, it will fall apart.
► 3 Season: Season the zucchini with salt and pepper. Add grated parmesan if you like and gently toss.
That’s it – so simple!
Tips for this easy sautéed zucchini recipe:
- do not overcook this vegetable, or it will turn into mashed zucchini
- if you have some of those giant garden zucchini, you’ll want to de-seed them before slicing
- for even more flavor, you can sauté some sliced onion with the garlic. You can also add more seasoning – finely grated lemon zest, chili flakes or fresh thyme are all very delicious!
What do you serve with this sautéed zucchini?
We love this side dish with so many things! some of our favorites:
- Instant Pot Chicken Thighs in Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce
- Balsamic Glazed Caprese Chicken
- Lemon Garlic Grilled Chicken
- Instant Pot Honey Mustard Pork Chops
- Maple Apple Pork Chops (though I make them with peaches instead of apples in the summer)
More Zucchini Recipes You’ll Love:
- Easy Zucchini Fritters
- Crispy Parmesan Zucchini Fries
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini Bread
- Zucchini Bread Breakfast Cookies
And if you liked these recipes, there’s plenty more to make family meals easier for you! Be sure to join my FREE recipe circle here to get easy recipes by email.
P.S: If you tried this recipe, why not leave me a comment below to let me know how you liked it? I LOVE interacting with you and hearing about your experience with my recipe. Also, by adding a comment and star rating you’re helping Savory Nothings grow and get even better for you!
Easy Sautéed Zucchini
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 5 medium zucchini thinly sliced
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese optional
- Heat the oil in a medium-large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add the zucchini and cook for 3-4 minutes or until softened.
- Season with salt, pepper and parmesan cheese (if using). Serve immediately.
- chili flakes
- lemon juice and/or zest
- fresh thyme