- 6 skin-on (bone-in chicken thighs, patted dry)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (finely diced)
- 1 small leek (white and pale green parts only, chopped (optional))
- 10 oz brown button mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 8 oz uncooked orzo pasta
- 1/3 cup dry white wine (OR more broth)
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- juice from 1 lemon (chopped parsley, shaved parmesan cheese and black pepper, to serve)
- Heat oven to 400°F. Season chicken all over with salt and pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a medium (around 9 inches) ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat. Place chicken skin-side down in the hot oil and cook until skin is crispy, about 5 minutes. Flip and brown on the other side for 2-3 minutes, then remove to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet over medium heat, cook onion and leek (if using) until starting to soften, about 3 minutes. Stir in the mushrooms and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir uncooked orzo into skillet and cook for another minute, then pour wine (OR extra broth) into skillet, scraping any browned bits off the bottom.
- Once wine has almost cooked away, stir chicken broth into skillet. Bring to a boil, then take off the heat. Nestle chicken on top and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until orzo is cooked and chicken is done to the bone.
- Serve with lemon juice, chopped parsley, parmesan shavings and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Use boneless chicken thighs if you prefer, they’ll cook in the same amount of time. You can also use chicken breast, it will bake in 15-20 minutes – make sure the orzo is done, otherwise remove the chicken breasts and bake the orzo for another 5 minutes.
- If you don’t like mushrooms, leave them out, but you’ll lose some bulk and flavor. Chopped broccoli would work as well, or stir a few handfuls of baby spinach into the orzo once it’s finished.
- This serves 5 of us with leftovers, but please keep in mind we have young kids, so if you have big eaters at home, it will probably serve closer to 4.