This is an easy recipe for diced chicken in a creamy sauce with sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms. Toss with pasta for a quick family meal!
Do you ever buy diced chicken breast? I highly recommend it! I mean, you can obviously dice your own… But for a quick and easy meal, the one you can buy diced is so convenient – and you can buy it frozen if, like me, you live far away from a large grocery store.
The reason I love it so much? It cooks much faster than entire chicken breasts… And I don’t have to cut up anything for the kids, ahem. Here I’m sharing my recipe to cook the diced chicken in a creamy sauce with sun-dried tomatoes and mushrooms, then toss with pasta for a simple and family friendly dinner!
📹 Full Recipe Video
🥣 Step by Step
1 Brown chicken, then add garlic, seasoning and mushrooms and cook until softened.
2 Stir in the flour, then deglaze the pan with white wine (just pour it in and stir well, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan). Simmer until most of the wine has evaporated.
3 Stir in the broth, then add the sun-dried tomatoes. Simmer for a few minutes. Stir in the cream and simmer for another few minutes.
As soon as the chicken is done, add cooked and drained pasta to the pan. Toss well over low heat to cook the pasta with the sauce, then serve right away!
I love this recipe with Pappardelle, but it also works great with Fettuccine, Linguine or even wide egg noodles if that’s all you have!
- 1 tablespoon oil (preferably from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes!)
- 1 pound diced chicken breast
- salt & ground black pepper (to taste)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 scant teaspoons dried Italian herbs (or less to taste)
- ½ lb mushrooms (sliced; use canned if fresh are not available!)
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup white wine (OR use more chicken broth)
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 (7-oz) jar sun dried tomatoes packed in oil (drained and roughly sliced (keep the leftover oil in the fridge to use in other dishes in place of olive oil – extra flavor and less waste!))
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 8 oz pasta (cooked according to package directions)
- grated parmesan and fresh parsley (to serve (optional))
- Brown chicken: Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add diced chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until browned.
- Add seasoning and mushrooms: Stir garlic, Italian herbs and mushrooms into skillet. Cook until mushrooms have softened.
- Deglaze: Evenly sprinkle flour over chicken and mushrooms, stirring well. Pour the white wine into the skillet, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pan. Simmer until the wine has mostly evaporated.
- Finish sauce: Pour chicken broth into skillet, then stir in sun-dried tomatoes. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 3-4 minutes (without a lid!). Stir in the cream and continue simmering for another couple of minutes.
- Add pasta: Reduce heat to low, add cooked and drained pasta to the skillet with the chicken and gently toss a few times until sauce is silky and coating the pasta. Serve immediately.