This one pot garlic butter parmesan mushroom pasta is a simple weeknight dinner that’s ready in less than 30 minutes with barely any effort! Made with spaghetti, mushrooms, dried herbs, garlic, butter and cheese.
You should know that I’m pretty obsessed with one pot pasta. I have shared so many recipes already here on the site, maybe I should just name it “The One Pot Pasta Blog”. There’s this One Pot Black Bean Enchilada Pasta I just shared a couple weeks ago.
The reason I’m so in love with these things? It’s pretty simple, actually: I can make them with three whining kids in the kitchen without breaking a serious sweat! And this mushroom pasta in creamy garlic parmesan sauce is no different – a great vegetarian main or simple side dish!
Ingredients you’ll need
Here is an overview of the ingredients in the recipe (great to use as a visual grocery list at the store!). Jump to Recipe for quantities.
- Mushrooms: I used brown button, but you can also use white mushrooms
- Spaghetti: You don’t have to use spaghetti, Linguine or Tagliatelle work, too. You can also use a short pasta like bow ties.
- Flavorings: For more flavor, add a chopped onion along with the mushrooms. You can also add ground black pepper, chopped parsley and some grated lemon zest after cooking.
Step by step photos
- Do not pre-cook the spaghetti – they really go into the dish uncooked. Then, they’ll cook right in the sauce! If you use cooked spaghetti, your sauce will be much too thin.
- If the pasta looks too dry, add up to 1 more cup liquid. How much liquid you need really depends on the kind of pasta you use and how you like your sauce!
- Adjust the amount of cream cheese (or goat’s cheese) to your taste. Start with 1 tablespoon, then add as much as you need for your perfect creaminess.
This works great as a vegetarian main, but you can also serve it as a side – it’s especially good with some chicken or steak.
Watch the recipe video
This one is an evergreen around here, it’s one of my absolute go-to meals (along with this One Pot Pea and Corn Pasta, by the way). I could probably cook it with my eyes closed by now.
It’s so easy, seriously. You’ll love it just for that – and then once more for the amazing garlic butter and parmesan flavors!
More one pot pastas
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
One Pot Garlic Butter Parmesan Mushroom Pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms or double, if you want a lot of mushrooms!
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5 cups vegetable broth can also use milk for extra creaminess
- 1 pound spaghetti uncooked
- 2-3 tablespoons butter
- 3-6 oz cream cheese OR soft goat cheese; (use more or less depending on desired creaminess)
- 3 ounces finely grated parmesan
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and cook the garlic and mushrooms until softened, about 4 minutes.
- Add the herbs, salt, liquid and spaghetti. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes or until the pasta is done.
- Stir in the butter, cream cheese and parmesan. Serve immediately.
More recipe information
I first published this recipe on 05/16 2017. I updated it on 05/25/2020 to make it more helpful to you.