This Whole Wheat Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread is a fun breakfast idea. Healthier with Greek yogurt, oil & whole wheat flour, yet such a special treat!
I’m SO excited to share this recipe. It’s my favourite banana bread in the entire world.
Yes, favoriter than anything with chocolate, and that means something coming from me.
I think it’s the streusel-y crumb topping, because streusel anything is the best.
I make this with my toddler all the time, and we usually make a double batch of streusel because we’ll eat them before baking anyways ?
This is a great recipe to make with small kids, because all wet ingredients just need to get mixed in a bowl, sprinkle with the dry ingredients and fold.
Em is already pretty good at measuring out the dry ingredients, and she loves whisking the wet ingredients.
I make the streusel and she sneaks little bites when she thinks I don’t see her. It’s the cutest thing.
I don’t mind making this quick bread often, because I made quite a few healthy ingredient swaps.
There’s Greek yogurt in place of some of the fat. No butter, but oil. You can use any oil you have on hand, we have successfully made it with melted coconut oil, canola oil and sunflower oil. Sunflower oil is a bit stronger in taste, but it still works fine.
The bread itself is made with 100% whole wheat flour, but I usually make the crunchy topping with white flour. You could definitely try whole wheat there, too, though.
This is actually part of my How To Make Whole Wheat Banana Bread post, so if you want to see detailed tips and instructions, hop on over there. There’s also a fun instructional video!
If you made this one and loved it, there’s other flavor ideas waiting for you:
For a full-on chocolate experience, make the Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
For a fruity, tangy twist, try the Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread.
For a straight forward chocolate chip fix, make the Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
And, just FYI… If it’s fall and you throw whole wheat intentions out the window (like I do shamelessly)… There’s cinnamon pecan crunch pumpkin bread. You didn’t hear it from me 😉
Watch how to make whole wheat banana bread:
Here’s the printable recipe for this Whole Wheat Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread:
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch or more whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup flour, plain or whole wheat
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- Heat the oven to 360°F. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf tin.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl. Sprinkle flour, cornstarch (OR extra flour), cinnamon, baking powder and salt on top. Gently fold in, do not overmix!
- For the crumb topping, place the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a medium bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until crumbs form.
- Place the batter in the prepared loaf tin and evenly sprinkle with the crumb topping.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.