You will love this Cheesy Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole because it’s so easy to make ahead! Full of flavor with lots of melty cheese and sausages! Make this for Christmas morning and your family will tell you it’s the best breakfast they ever had!
And this my friends is what I needed all this cheese for. A Christmas morning breakfast casserole. Honestly? I didn’t even know Christmas breakfast was a thing.
Usually my Christmas Day mornings are a rush to get to my parent’s home to celebrate Christmas with my family. So breakfast? Not happening.
But this year everything changes. This year I actually get to stay at home on Christmas morning! Wow! That’s a whole new experience for me. And I love it!
Branimir and I really wanted to spend our first Christmas as a family in a bit more quite atmosphere than we normally do, with all the driving to various relatives involved.
So what was the first thing I had to do when we decided on this? Research breakfast casseroles of course! Because apparently that’s the thing you have before going wild on presents, right?
Now I usually really do prefer a sweet breakfast (waffles, pancakes, muffins my way please!) but this Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole? It’s the thing. The real thing. The thing I want to eat every Christmas morning from now to eternity.
Exaggerated? Maybe a little bit. My point is – this breakfast casserole is really, really good. Even if you’re usually a sweets-only kind of person, you will love this! And if you’re all about savory breakfasts anyways – well, I certainly don’t need to convince you much!
Now one of my favorite parts about this recipe? It’s made in advance and left to soak overnight! Well, kind of the point of a Christmas morning breakfast casserole, right?
See, I really had to read into this stuff to figure it out. But it’s so easy to make you really shouldn’t worry, even if you’re a Christmas-morning-novice like me!
All you need to do is cube some nicely toasted sourdough bread, brown your favorite sausage meat, mix together with eggs, milk and lots of melty cheese and chill.
See? Super easy, I just gave you the entire recipe in one (very long) sentence. And then the only thing left to do for you in the morning is bake, serve and eat!
Make sure you use a cheese you really like because it does give a lot of amazing flavor to this breakfast dish.
And find some fun things to sprinkle on top – we used yellow bell pepper and scallions (which I only recently found out are NOT called spring onions in the US) but you could also go for fresh tomatoes, chives or something similar that lends some freshness and zing to the whole thing.
Did I just do a rhyme there? That was completely an accident and I didn’t sit here for hours thinking it up. Promise!
Cheesy Overnight Sausage Breakfast Casserole Recipe
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 1 pound pork sausage meat or sausages removed from the casings and broken up
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 cups milk
- 4 large eggs beaten
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar
- 6 slices thick sourdough bread toasted and cubed
- Yellow pepper and scallion to serve (optional)
- Grease a 9x13 inch square baking dish or spray with cooking spray.
- In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown the sausage. Stir regularly to break up any lumps. Season with smoked paprika. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Mix milk, eggs, mustard and Worcestershire sauce together in a large bowl. Stir in the remaining ingredients and the browned sausage, pour into the prepared baking dish and cover with foil. Refrigerate overnight or at least 8 hours.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the casserole covered for 45 minutes before reducing the heat to 325°F to finish baking uncovered for 15 minutes or until set.
- Leave to cool for 5 minutes before serving with your favorite toppings!