Make this easy Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole for a relaxing brunch this weekend. Can be made ahead for extra convenience!
I’ll be honest: I usually lean more towards sweet breakfast options…
… but I do make an exception for any kind of egg-based savory dish.
Add potatoes, bacon, the option to make it ahead and a few colorful veggies – and consider me sold 😉
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole Video Tutorial:
How to Make a Hashbrown Breakfast Casserole:
Should I thaw frozen hashbrowns before cooking?
Yes, I recommend thawing frozen hashbrowns according to package directions before using in this casserole recipe.
Can you make this casserole ahead?
Yes, you can!
It lasts for up to 3 days in the fridge.
To reheat, simply put in a 375˚F oven for 30 minutes until the casserole is heated through.
Can I skip browning the sausage and vegetables?
No, please don’t.
I know it’s an extra step, but browning the sausage and bacon adds a lot of extra flavor.
Browning the vegetables along with the meats is important too to remove excess liquid from the veggies.
If you skip this step, all the extra liquid will come out of the vegetables during baking and make your casserole mushy.
Hashbrown Breakfast Casserolemade it? tap the stars to add your rating!
- 1/2 pound breakfast sausage
- 4 oz bacon
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 1 red pepper (chopped)
- 6 eggs (beaten)
- 30 oz frozen hashbrowns
- 8 oz shredded Cheddar cheese
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- Pinch ground nutmeg
- Black pepper (to taste)
- Brown meats and vegetables: Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the sausage and bacon. Add the onion, celery and red pepper and brown until softened. Place in a large bowl and cool for 5 minutes.
- Prep: Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish (OR use a very deep 7×11 dish for a thicker casserole).
- Finish casserole: Add remaining ingredients to the bowl with the sausage mix. Stir well, then transfer to the prepared casserole dish.
- Bake: Bake the casserole for 50-60 minutes, or until set in the middle. Cool for 10-15 minutes before slicing to serve.