This is a rich and creamy butternut squash pasta sauce recipe of squash, onion, nutmeg, sage and cheese. The healthy twist makes this absolutely guilt-free!
I do love a good, creamy pasta. And one made with butternut squash? All the better!
- If you don’t have dried sage, you can just leave it out or use some dried thyme instead.
- You don’t have to use goat’s cheese if you don’t like it, cream cheese works just as well!
- This is great with many pasta shapes. You can even use macaroni to make a healthy butternut Mac and cheese!
I also enjoy serving a crisp green salad with honey mustard dressing on the side.
More creamy pastas
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Lighter Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
Ingredients You Need
- 12 ounces pasta whole wheat if you prefer
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 small-medium butternut squash cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1.5 cups chicken stock
- 8 ounces creamy goat cheese or use any kind of cream cheese if you prefer
- 1 ounce parmesan shredded
- salt & pepper to taste
- Boil a pot of water. Add salt and cook the pasta according to the package instructions.
- In the meantime, heat the oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add the onion and butternut squash and cook, stirring from time to time, until starting to brown. This will take around 4 minutes.
- Stir in the herbs and continue cooking for another minute. Add the lid, reduce the heat to low and roast until tender. This will take around 5-10 more minutes.
- Once the squash is cooked, pour the chicken stock into the Dutch oven. Bring to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
- Take the Dutch oven off the heat and cool for a couple of minutes. Very carefully blend with an immersion blender until smooth. Add both cheeses and blend until fully mixed in.
- Check for seasoning and serve with the cooked pasta.