Ever wondered how to make Fettuccine Alfredo right at home? It’s SO quick and easy, probably way more than you think. You only need a handful of simple staple ingredients and you’ll be indulging in a steaming bowl of creamy pasta in just 15 minutes from now!
I always thought it was a very complicated process to make authentic Alfredo sauce at home… Until I actually tried, and it was such a fail, haha!
The classic version is not all that different from the recipe I’m sharing here, but I tweaked and nudged around with it until I found my perfectly foolproof happy place. I decided to add some cream (even though that’s zero percent right according to the food snobs out there), because it really helps to keep the cheese from curdling. You know, it’s OK to cheat a little if it means you’ll end up with an actually edible dinner 😉
📹 Recipe video
🥣 Cooking tips
Do keep the heat on low once the cheese is added. Heating the sauce too much at that point will cause it to split!
If you like, reserve some of the pasta water in case you need a little extra liquid to make a smooth sauce.
If you want a truly authentic version, use 1/2 – 1 cup pasta cooking water instead of the cream. Using cream makes this recipe relatively foolproof and extra indulgent, but feel free to use what you prefer.
- 12 ounces fettuccine (or spaghetti, or linguine)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- salt, black pepper, garlic powder (to taste)
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Once pasta is done, melt butter in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add cream, then reduce heat to low, whisk in cheese and seasoning and whisk until cheese has melted (this will only take a short amount of time).
- Toss in pasta until heated through and coated in a silky sauce. Serve right away with extra parmesan cheese.
More Recipes You’ll Love