- Sheet Pan
- 1 pound whole button mushrooms (I used brown ones)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (finely minced)
- 2/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning (I used one without added salt)
- 4 tablespoons grated parmesan (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Lemon juice (to serve (optional))
- Prep the mushrooms: Carefully remove the stems from the mushrooms. Set the caps aside and chop the stems finely.
- Sauté the mushroom stems: Melt the butter in a wide skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and gently cook until softened, about 2-3 minutes. Add the chopped mushroom stems and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Finish the filling: Add the breadcrumbs and Italian seasoning to the mushrooms in the pan and stir well, to coat everything with butter. if it seems dry, add a little more butter. Cook for another 3-4 minutes, take off the heat and stir in the parmesan, parsley and salt and pepper (if needed). Then set aside to cool.
- Stuff and bake the mushroom caps: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Evenly distribute the filling between the mushroom caps, pushing it slightly down as you fill them. Place the mushrooms on a baking sheet lined with nonstick silicone mats and bake until the top is browned, about 20-25 minutes.
- Serve: Serve hot or warm, with a bit of lemon juice if you like.