I have to confess: I almost like this slow cooker turkey breast better than the whole bird roasted. I don’t know if it’s the bone-less-ness, or the delicious cranberry sauce that forms at the bottom of the crock… But it’s just so, so good.
We don’t always have Turkey for Christmas, but it’s most definitely a Thanksgiving classic! The kids will eat it cooked this way, too. They just don’t like the cranberry sauce but that’s OK – more for me! I could drink this stuff.
The main reason why I prefer cooking just a turkey breast in the crock pot? It’s just so much easier than doing a full turkey: Quicker defrosting, no brining and way easier to make sure it’s cooked safely. Plus, prep is almost nothing!
How to Make my Cranberry Turkey Breast in the Crock Pot:
- Place all ingredients for the sauce in the crock pot – I layer them in this order: Cranberries, cranberry sauce, onion soup mix and orange juice for best results
- Place the turkey breast on top and season generously
- Cook on high for 1 hour, then on low for 4-5 or until done
If you would rather make it in the oven, follow the instructions but place everything in a Dutch oven instead.
Cover with the lid and roast in the preheated oven at 325°F for 90 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
And for leftovers? Try these recipes:
Crock Pot Cranberry Turkey Breast
- 1 – 2 cups fresh cranberries enough to cover the bottom of the crock in a single layer
- 1 15-oz can jellied cranberry sauce, sliced into rounds
- 1 1-oz package onion soup mix (see below for homemade)
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup sugar optional for a less cranberry-tart sauce
- 3 to 4 pound boneless turkey breast
- 2 tablespoons butter sliced
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary optional
Homemade Onion Soup Mix:
- 1/4 cup dried onion flakes
- 2 tablespoons bouillon granules beef or chicken both work
- 1/4 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Prep: Spray a 5-6 quart slow cooker with cooking spray. Place the whole cranberries inside and set the sliced cranberry sauce on top. Sprinkle with HALF of the onion soup mix. Combine orange juice and sugar (if using) and pour in the crockpot.
- Season turkey: Place the turkey breast in the slow cooker and rub all over with the remaining onion soup mix, then dot with sliced butter. Nestle the rosemary sprigs next to the turkey breast.
- Cook: Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour, then finish cooking on LOW for 4-5 hours or until the internal temperature reaches at least 165°F. Remove the rosemary sprigs before serving, and slice the turkey breast. Stir the cranberry sauce together with the juices and serve over the turkey.