An easy oatmeal chocolate chip cookies recipe full of whole grains for everyday enjoyment.
I love a good oatmeal cookie. When I was younger and still living at home, my parents would sometimes buy this big box of chocolate oatmeal cookies at IKEA.
With three growing boys in the household the box never lasted long, and my sister and I regularly had to fight for our cookies! Now I love baking my own, especially to keep the kids entertained on those days that seem to have a few hours extra, ha!
If you’re looking for a step by step tutorial to make your oatmeal cookies, please go see my Basic Oatmeal Cookie Guide!
More oatmeal cookies
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Everyday Easy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped dark chocolate
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- In a medium bowl, combine the whole wheat flour, oats, baking soda and salt until well mixed.
- In a large separate bowl cream the butter with a mixer until it starts forming little peaks. You can also do this by hand if you don’t have a mixer, it just takes a little longer.
- Once the butter is creamy, add the sugar and mix it for 2-3 minutes or until it is really well incorporated. Add the egg and continue mixing until it’s well incorporated, but don’t overmix. Add the vanilla and quickly mix it in completely.
- Set the mixer aside and stir the dry ingredients into the egg mixture, using a silicone spatula or wooden spoon. Fold in the chocolate chips and walnuts.
- Chill the cookie dough for 10-15 minutes while washing up and preheating the oven to 360°F. Line a cookie sheet with a silicone baking mat or parchment paper.
- Remove the cookie dough from the fridge. Using a cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop out the dough onto the lined cookie sheet, allowing some space between the cookies for spreading. You might need to bake them in two batches!
- Bake the cookies in the preheated oven for 12-14 minutes or until they are starting to lightly brown and crisp up. Allow them to cool on the cookie sheet for a few minutes before placing them on a wire rack to cool down completely. Or eat them while they’re warm 😉