These Healthier Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins are made with Greek yogurt for a guilt-free morning treat. They are lower in fat and sugar than traditional muffins and whole wheat flour plus lots of other healthy ingredient swaps easily turn these into a new family favorite.
I think it might be time to admit to my healthy muffin obsession.
And now – Lemon Poppy Seed. I mean, how could I not?!
I super love making muffins with Greek yogurt. It keeps the bake moist without adding too much fat.
Though I do often use the full fat yogurt, so much for saving fat calories.
I have made these with non-fat yogurt before though, and they turn out perfectly fine. They just taste a little less rich.
My healthy muffin obsession was born out of a necessity when my eldest decided she wanted cake and not purée for breakfast.
She’s always been a stubborn little lady, so it was a case of deciding between the #WorstMotheroftheYearAward or getting myself into the kitchen to tinker with my regular muffin recipe.
But even though I saw myself FORCED to reinvent my breakfast baking (such a terrible burden, haha!), it has become one of my fave things to do because having muffins on hand is just so… handy.
Here a few healthy muffin FAQs:
Can I make these muffins ahead?
Yes, you can. You can store them in an airtight container for 2 or 3 days.
Can I freeze these muffins?
Yes, you can freeze them. I usually place them into a glass freezer container like these on Amazon*, making sure they don’t touch.
That way I can just take out as many as I need at a time.
I normally don’t freeze them for longer than a month.
How do I defrost the frozen muffins?
You just leave them out overnight. You can also warm them slightly once they’re defrosted – delish!
Can I use regular flour instead of whole wheat?
If you want to, yes. You can also do half whole wheat and half regular.
If using all regular you might need to add a bit more flour if the batter is too runny.
here is your recipe for these scrumptious Healthier Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Greek Yogurt:
Healthier Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Greek Yogurt
- 1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lemon zest only
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup oil or melted butter
- 6.5 oz Greek yogurt any fat content
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 lemon juice only
- Preheat the oven to 410°F. Line a 12 cavity muffin tin with paper cups.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl. Whisk together the wet ingredients in a measuring jug.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and stir just until combined - a few lumps are fine. Divide the batter between the prepared muffin cups.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 400°F and bake the muffins for 5 minutes. Reduce the temperature to 360°F and finish baking for 15-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool the muffins in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer them to a rack and cool completely before removing them from the paper cups - otherwise they'll stick!
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
* I make a commission for purchases made through these links.