Wow your family with this Lemon Blueberry Bread! It has a super moist and fluffy texture and is studded with juicy blueberries – the perfect quick bread for breakfast or dessert.
You know, I’d almost given up on this bread. I can do any banana bread in my sleep. But this lemon blueberry number? It turned out to be a lot harder to figure out than I initially thought and I had to do a LOT of testing to get it right.
Any way I tried to make a bread without creaming the butter and sugar first was way too dense. And I really had my heart set on NOT doing any creaming, because it’s a little quicker.
But in the end, I had to come to terms with the fact this will never be the best Lemon Blueberry Bread… Unless the base is kind of more of a lemon pound cake than anything else.
And that’s exactly was this bread here is. And it is just as glorious as secretly binge-watching Twilight.
📹 Recipe video
🥣 Baking tips
- this recipe uses the creaming method: you’ll cream butter, sugar and eggs separately, before adding the mix of dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk. The good thing here is that you can’t really overmix this batter, so you can do everything with a mixer!
- don’t skip flouring the blueberries: rinse the berries and pat them dry with a paper towel. Then toss them in flour – I know it’s tempting to skip this step, but it keeps them from all sinking to the bottom of the loaf!
- which pan size to use? I tested this recipe using a 9×5 inch loaf pan (this is an affiliate link and I’ll make a commission for purchases made after clicking through). If you have a 8×4 inch loaf pan, the bread will take longer to bake and turn out higher. You might need to cover it loosely with foil after an hour, to keep the top from browning too much.
📦 Storage tips
You can store this in an airtight container OR wrapped in foil for 2-3 days.
❄️ Freezer instructions
OR freeze it: Wrap tightly in foil and then in aluminum foil. Label and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost on the counter on a rack for a few hours.
- ⅓ cup butter (softened)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 lemon (zest only)
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract (can substitute vanilla)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon (juice only.)
- 1 cup blueberries tossed in 1 tablespoon flour
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with baking parchment.
- Cream ingredients: Add butter and sugar to a large mixing bowl (OR the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment). Mix until creamy and well combined. Add the eggs, lemon zest and lemon extract and continue creaming until light and fluffy.
- Finish batter: In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Mix buttermilk and lemon juice in a measuring jug. Add ½ of the flour mix to the bowl with the creamed ingredients and mix on the lowest setting until well combined. Add ½ of the buttermilk and lemon juice mix and continue mixing on low until smooth. Repeat with the remaining flour and buttermilk until you have a creamy batter.
- Fold in blueberries: Add the floured blueberries to the batter and carefully fold in using a rubber spatula.
- Bake: Pour the finished batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a cooling rack to cool completely before slicing.