Are you looking for a Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread recipe for spring and summer? This one is bursting with berries and made with healthy Greek yogurt.
Lemon and Blueberry is one of my favorite flavor combinations for spring and summer. It’s just so refreshing and reminds me of breakfasts eaten on the porch in the first gleams of the sun.
This lemon blueberry banana bread is actually the fresh and fruity part of my How To Make Whole Wheat Banana Bread (Plus 4 Flavors) post, where you can hop if you’d like to see detailed instructions on how to make whole wheat banana bread.
How this recipe works
You’ll make a basic whole wheat banana bread batter, then fold in lemon zest and blueberries. So easy!
You can glaze the bread after cooling, but that’s entirely optional. If you’re wondering, our favorite lemon glaze is just a few tablespoons of icing sugar mixed with a few teaspoons of fresh lemon juice. Tastes amazing and is super simple to put together.
- do not overmix the batter – use a spatula or wooden spoon to combine the wet and dry ingredients; stir only until just combined
- do not skip tossing the blueberries in flour, it helps to keep them from sinking to the bottom of the bread
- I recommend cooling the bread in the pan for 10 minutes, then lifting it out to cool for 10 more minutes on a cooling rack before slicing
I keep the bread wrapped in a clean tea towel at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Freezer: Banana bread freezes well. Pack it in a freezer friendly bag or container (I freeze it sliced with the slices separated by parchment paper so it’s easier to defrost). Label with the name and date and freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost, unwrap the bread (or slices) and place on a wire rack on the counter. Defrost for a couple of hours, warm in the microwave if you like.
If you make this Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread and love it, you can also try my other variations:
For a straight forward chocolate chip fix, make the Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Banana Bread.
For even more chocolate, make the Whole Wheat Double Chocolate Banana Bread.
And for an extra-yummy, super special treat, bake up a Whole Wheat Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread – prepare to be asked to make this one again and again!
Watch the recipe video
More quick bread recipes
PS If you try this recipe, please leave a review in the comment section and add a star rating in the recipe card – I appreciate your feedback! Follow along on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Whole Wheat Lemon Blueberry Banana Bread
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup mashed bananas
- ¾ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup oil
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 ¾ cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ cup cornstarch or more whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 lemon zest only
- Heat the oven to 360°F. Grease a 9×5 inch loaf tin.
- Whisk together all wet ingredients in a large bowl. Sprinkle flour, cornstarch (OR extra flour), baking powder and salt on top. Gently fold in, do not overmix!
- Fold in blueberries and lemon zest and place the batter in the prepared loaf tin.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.