- Casserole Dish
- 12- oz package long grain rice (cooked according to package directions)
- ¼ cup butter (divided)
- 1 pound chicken breast (diced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- ½ pound mushrooms (sliced)
- ½ teaspoon dried garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon celery salt
- ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 ½ – 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 head broccoli (in florets)
- 8- oz package cream cheese
- 2 cups shredded cheese (American, cheddar, mozzarella… whatever you like)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a deep 9×13 inch casserole dish.
- Sauté chicken and aromatics: Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned on all sides. Stir in onion and mushrooms, cook until softened, about 5 minutes.Stir in garlic powder, celery salt, dried thyme and remaining butter.
- Make sauce:Stir in flour, making sure no more streaks of dry flour are visible. Pour in 1.5 cups broth and 1 cup evaporated milk, stirring well until smooth.
- Add broccoli and cheeses:Stir in broccoli and simmer for 5 minutes, adding up to ½ cup extra broth if it looks dry. Take off the heat and stir in cream cheese, 1 cup shredded cheese and rice.
- Assemble: Place rice mix into the prepared casserole dish. Top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Bake: Bake uncovered at 375F for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese has melted and casserole is bubbly.
Add a Review or Ask a Question