Love Nutella? Then these Double Chocolate Cookies with Hazelnuts are the perfect recipe for you! Full of rich dark chocolate and crunchy hazelnuts, this is the best homemade treat ever. And don’t worry: They’re easy to make!
Chocolate and hazelnut is such a classic flavor combination – and one that’s delicious in a cookie! These are super thick and soft chocolate cookies, studded with hazelnuts. They just work!
Tips and tricks
- Cream the butter and sugars thoroughly. Then, beat the eggs in just until fully combined – you don’t want to over-beat the eggs or the cookies could come out tough.
- Do not skip the dough chilling or your cookies will spread out flat.
- Do not over bake the cookies. Their tops should feel dry when they come out of the oven, but the cookies will still feel very soft and underdone. They’ll firm up as they cool!
- I always use a cookie scoop to shape cookies, it’s super quick and convenient!
Keep the cooled cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
How to freeze cookie dough:
Shape the cookie dough, then freeze it in a single layer on a lined baking sheet until firm. Transfer to a freezer bag and label with the name and date. Freeze for up to 1 month.
To bake, place as many dough balls as you need on a lined baking sheet, spaced 2 inches apart. Let sit out on the counter for 10-15 minutes as the oven preheats. Bake as directed in the recipe, adding a few minutes (usually 2-3) of baking time.
How to freeze baked cookies:
Place the cooled cookies in freezer-friendly bags or containers. Label with the name and date and freeze for up to 3 months.
To defrost, remove from the bag. Set on a cooling rack on the counter for a few hours. Microwave for a few seconds to warm, if you like.
If you’re a chocoholic, I’m sure you’re going to go crazy for my chocolate hazelnut cookies! Try them and let me know what you think – I always like to hear your feedback.
More cookie and bar recipes
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Double Chocolate Cookies with Hazelnuts
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ½ teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup butter melted about halfway
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons strong coffee
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- ½ cup hazelnuts roughly chopped
- Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, cornstarch and salt together.
- In another bowl, cream together the butter and both sugars until the sugar is starting to dissolve, about 5 minutes. Add the egg and egg yolk and continue beating until light in color. Stir in the coffee.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips and the chopped hazelnuts. Wrap the cookie dough in plastic foil and refrigerate for at least two hours and up to three days.
- When ready to bake preheat the oven to 325°F. Line a few baking trays with parchment paper.
- Allow the cookie dough to soften for 5-10 minutes before shaping it into balls of about 2-3 tablespoons dough each. This is easiest done with an ice cream scoop.
- Lay the dough balls on baking sheets with enough space in between as they will spread. You can fit about 8-10 cookies on a baking tray.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes. remove from the oven and let rest on the baking tray for another 10 minutes before cooling completely on a wire rack.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
More recipe information
Adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.