This is a foolproof crêpe recipe – Crêpes are so easy to make with just a handful ingredients, and even beginners can pull this off!
This is my family’s treasured recipe. My husband makes these French pancakes weekly for the kids, and they can’t get enough.
It’s an easy enough version to make, so if you want to try making a special brunch for Mother’s Day, Easter, Christmas… but are scared of messing it up: This is the recipe you need! Simple, foolproof and so delicious.
Ingredients you’ll need
Here is an overview of the ingredients in the recipe (great to use as a visual grocery list at the store!). Scroll down to the recipe at the bottom for quantities.
- Milk: I recommend using whole milk for best results. Semi-skimmed can still work well though, but the crèpes will be less rich and tend to rip apart more easily.
- Club soda: If you don’t have any club soda, use all milk.
- Flour: You can also make Crêpes with whole wheat flour. They need a few extra tablespoons of milk, and an extra tablespoon of oil.
- Oil: Feel free to use melted butter for an even more authentic taste.
How to make Crêpes
1. Start by mixing the milk and the eggs until smooth. This recipe is easiest to do with a hand mixer, but you can also use a whisk.
2. Add the club soda, oil/melted butter, citrus zest and salt. Stir well.
3. Next, gradually add the flour while continuously mixing. You should end up with a perfectly smooth batter, you don’t want any lumps in it.
4. Rest the batter on the counter for 15 minutes, then
5. and 6. Bake thin crepes in a lightly oiled skillet. Serve warm with your favorite fillings.
- I always make Crêpe batter with a hand mixer, so much easier than having to whisk! This batter should be lump-free and needs to be mixed very well (so not like American pancake batter!). Don’t worry about overmixing, this batter cannot be overmixed. So it’s fine to use an electric mixer.
- Crêpes should be fairly thin. It makes them more finicky to flip though. So if you’re having trouble, try making a few thicker ones at first to practice.
- The first one always comes out looking weird/greasy. Don’t worry about it, it’s still good to eat and the others will look much neater.
- If you roll up the crêpes straight away, they stay warmer for longer. Great for serving a crowd!
Wrap leftover Crêpes in plastic wrap and store them in the fridge for up to 2 days. The crèpes can be gently reheated in a skillet over low heat.
Our favorite Crêpe fillings
Well, if you ask my children… It’s 100% Nutella. My husband agrees with them 😉
I love them with fresh berries, jam and either cream cheese spread or whipped cream.
For a savory twist, I adore filling them with ham and cheese. I fold them in half and in half again (to create a triangle), then warm them in the microwave to melt the cheese. Delicious!
Other great fillings:
- Apple butter & cinnamon sugar
- Lemon juice & sugar (don’t knock it until you try it!)
- Salted caramel spread & vanilla ice cream
- Banana & chocolate spread
- Tomatoes & cheese
- Prosciutto, asparagus and fried egg
Honestly, you can add pretty much anything to a crêpe you would also add to a sandwich!
More classy brunch recipes
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup club soda
- 2 tablespoons melted butter OR oil
- grated lemon zest OR orange zest, to taste
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Whisk eggs with milk until smooth.
- Add club soda, melted butter, citrus zest (if using) and salt. Whisk until smooth.
- Add flour to egg mix little by little, while continuing to whisk until smooth batter forms. Rest batter 15 minutes on the counter.
- Heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add a pat of butter or nonstick cooking spray. Use a few tablespoons of batter per crêpe and cook into thin pancakes until lightly golden, about 2-3 minutes per side. Serve warm with different spreads, whipped cream, fresh fruit… Whatever you enjoy!