Ever ask yourself what to make with ground beef and rice? This Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet is your answer: An easy weeknight dinner, all cooked in one pot! Less dishes to wash is always a win 😉
I don’t know about you, but I’m overwhelmingly in favor of dinners that need as little dishes as possible.
Sheet pan meals? Check.
One Pot Pasta? Most definitely check.
And also check, check, check when it comes to one pot rice dishes like this Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet!
It’s all of this: Easy, convenient, low on the dishes and absolutely tasty.
Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet
This dinner consists of a few basic and budget-friendly ingredients:
Ground beef, rice, black beans, sweet corn, a few chopped veggies, taco seasoning and, obviously, cheese.
You cook it all in one single skillet – a huge win when you’re very pregnant… Or whenever, to be honest!
How to cook Mexican ground beef and rice:
- do not pre-cook the rice: That’s right, the rice can go in uncooked! If you pre-cook it, the entire dish will turn into soup. So, don’t 😉
- don’t skip the browning step: I know it can be tempting to skip this step to save time, but you’ll miss out on a lot of flavor if you don’t brown the meat and onions.
- switch up the meat: You can use ground turkey instead of ground beef, if you prefer
How to serve this Mexican rice casserole:
We like topping the dish with cheese once it’s done cooking, but that’s entirely optional! But, ahem, highly encouraged.
My husband and I enjoy squeezing some lime on top, our 4 year old basically eats her lime wedge in its entirety, and the 2 year old will claim the entire avocado I chopped as a topping for herself…
Hey, we make it work somehow 😉
More easy and delicious rice recipes you’ll love:
Mexican Beef and Rice Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 yellow pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1 cup rice
- 1.5 cups broth or more if it seems dry
- 1 jar (16-oz) chunky salsa
- 1 can (15-oz) black beans
- 1 cup sweet corn canned OR frozen
- Shredded cheese, lime wedges, sour cream, chopped tomatoes, cilantro, avocado, tortilla chips…. optional, to serve
- Brown meat: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2 minutes. Add the garlic and beef and cook until browned. Stir in the diced peppers and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add remaining ingredients: Stir in the tomato paste, taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook for 1 minute. Add the rice, broth, salsa, black beans and corn and stir well.
- Cook: Bring to a simmer, cover the skillet with a lid, reduce the heat and gently cook for around 15 minutes, or until cooked through. Add more broth if necessary.
- Serve: Top with shredded cheese and cover for another 2 minutes, if you like. Serve with your favorite toppings.
P.S: Check out our collection of easy dinner recipes with ground beef for more ideas!