A quick and easy recipe for homemade creamy tomato soup. Serve with your favorite grilled cheese for a comforting winter meal!
You can either scroll through the entire post or jump straight to the sections:
I do love a good tomato soup, especially during the colder months!
Back when I was really, really little (oh, the good old times!) and in kindergarten, we would cook together once a month.
My teacher would always send two students to the butcher next door to pick up sausages and a few packets of dried tomato soup mix.
The dried mix has disappeared from my repertoire now, but my love for a comforting bowl of tomato soup has stuck. This is by far my favorite recipe, I’m making it over and over again!
What You Need to Make This Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
I’m not saying you can’s make this recipe with a normal pot, but as you already know I’m a huge advocate of investing in a few timeless, high-quality pieces for the kitchen.
I prefer making things like soups and stews in my Dutch oven because it retains heat so much better. This means I can cook it on a lower temperature, which equals in money savings! That’s a win in my books!
I find that it’s much, much easier to get a smooth consistency when I blend the cream cheese (or ricotta) with a bit of soup before adding it to the pot.
No crazy stirring trying to get it to melt in! Otherwise you’re bound to have splatters of soup all over yourself and your kitchen.
This is my absolutely favorite immersion blender yo can buy on Amazon*, it’s so powerful and has never disappointed me!
I love that I can pretty much ALWAYS throw this soup together.
I always have crushed tomatoes in my pantry, and I almost always have cream cheese in my fridge.
Onions, garlic and dried herbs are staple foods in my kitchen. So this really is an anytime-you-like kind of recipe!
Things to Watch Out For When Making This Recipe for Tomato Soup
★ What you like best
This soup is so versatile! You can use either cream cheese or ricotta to add the creaminess in the end.
The cream cheese makes the soup extra-creamy, while the ricotta gives it a bit of texture as well. I like both equally and you could even experiment with sour cream!
You can even fry up some bacon with the onions to give it an extra-special flavor.
★ Splatter zone!
Be careful when adding the crushed tomatoes after cooking the onion and garlic – it can really splatter!
It’s best to take the pot off the heat and allow it to cool down for a minute, then stirring in the tomatoes and stock before putting it back on your burner.
Here’s the Printable Recipe for Speedy Creamy Tomato Soup:
Speedy Creamy Tomato Soup Recipe
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 14.5oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 14oz can chicken broth
- 1 cup cream cheese or ricotta
- Your favorite toppings: croutons, fresh basil, parmesan, grilled cheese...
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook for 2 or 3 minutes. Sprinkle in the dried herbs and continue cooking for a minute.
- Take the pot off the heat and allow it to cool down for a minute. Very carefully stir in the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth.
- Bring the soup to a boil, then simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Blend the cream cheese or ricotta with a ladle or two of the soup, using an immersion blender. You can skip this step and simply store the cheese into the soup, but it will take a bit longer to melt in.
- Stir the cheese into the soup and serve immediately with your favorite toppings.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
* I make a commission for purchases made through these links.