Yeah, I know that fruit salads are the epitome of basic-ness. But what can I say? Sometimes I need a really good triple berry fruit salad for some summer feel good vibes, and I’m zero percent sorry about it.
hashtag sorry not sorry, to put it in correct interweb terms.
Spoiler alert: It is.
And also, it’s RED WHITE AND BLUE. Aka perfect for a Fourth of July party that doesn’t suck.
It’s also super easy to make:
- make dressing and store in the fridge until you’re ready to make your salad
- wash berries and slice banana just before serving
- add dressing
- eat your heart out
Uhm yes, I made those instructions unnecessarily long.
Wash berries and slice banana, add the finished dressing and eat ASAP.
That’s a recipe in one sentence. Crazy, right?
But that’s the beautiful thing about summer food: It’s SO easy and lazy and just about the best thing about May to September (yes, that is how long summer lasts in my mind).
Apart from chips and salsa and cocktails on the porch.
And pool floats.
And beach vacations.
And not having to wear so many clothes. Birkenstocks that qualify as shoes.
And just the general carefreeness and sunny days…
But OK, mostly it’s the easy-like-Sunday-morning food I care about, and this Independence Day friendly fruit salad recipe is no different.
Just a few tips to make sure it’s as awesome as can be for you:
- Don’t mix the dressing and fruit in advance. The berries get mushy and the banana browns, and the whole thing just gets super watery. Add the dressing right before serving. Don’t come complaining to me if you don’t listen 😉
- Be careful when tossing. Try not to smash up the banana too much, and try not to smash the berries or they’ll turn the white dressing all pink and purple. Also very pretty, but also not red white blue anymore 🤷🏻♀️
- Don’t plan on leftovers. As I said, it doesn’t keep that well. Accidental leftovers will be perfectly fine to eat, but don’t plan on making so much that you’ll have leftovers on purpose.
P.S: If you want to see some step by step photos, check out my The Ultimate Guide to Making the Best Fruit Salad!
Uhm okay, let’s just all indulge our basic side with this fruit salad this summer, okay?
Get the “recipe” here:
For the dressing:
- 1 1/2 cups Greek yogurt
- Juice of 1 lemon OR 1/2 orange
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the fruit:
- 1 pound fresh strawberries; washed, hulled and sliced
- 8 ounces fresh blueberries; rinsed and carefully patted dry
- 8 ounces fresh raspberries; rinsed and carefully patted dry
- 2 medium bananas; peeled and sliced
- Make the dressing: Whisk all ingredients for the dressing together and chill in the fridge until ready to use.
- Make the salad: Prep the fruit just before eating. Carefully mix with the dressing and serve immediately.