This is proof that bacon makes everything better – even already delicious and creamy risotto! Try this risotto with bacon and brussels sprouts if you love rich flavors, parmesan cheese and general easy dinner awesomeness.
Can I tell you something? Yes? Ok, here goes. I’m tired. Oh, you know that already? Mmmk, let me think about something else. Right, I got it. Let’s talk about bacon!
Bacon and Brussels Sprouts.
Right here in this big bowl of gloriously cheesy and creamy rice, also known as risotto. Aaah, you get me every single time.
You are just too good to be truuue, can’t take my eyes off of you…
Any more risotto lovers out there? Come and sing along with me! (Please do or else I feel like a total idiot for singing over food…)
And did you recognize the picture by the way? I used in in my post about food photography. Huh, what is that? You’ve been dying for me to tell you the recipe? Oh I just knew we are friends ♥
Speaking of friends… This dinner was completely inspired by a friend. One of my best friends actually. He is ace.
Wanna know why? Because one winter, while I was working in a pub and he was working as a chef (well, he still is which makes him even more awesome because… FOOD!), he brought me soup all. the. time.
He would cook it and vacuum it into a big plastic bag and then bring it to me. How amazing is that? Soup rocks. Friends who bring me soup rock even more.
And friends who bring me bacon and brussels sprout soup rock the most. Without a doubt.
Now I thought I’d use his idea of a bacon and brussels sprout liaison to create an amazing risotto.
And seriously guys, it is nothing short of amazing. You will want to lie face down into your plate, that’s about how good all those tasty things are all mixed together.
Just LOOK at it! It’s so beautiful with all the green sprouts and little crunchy bits of bacon all mixed in. And don’t forget to top it all off with a good portion of Parmesan cheese. No risotto should ever be without his one true love.
And please don’t ever use plain short grain rice, use real arborio risotto rice. You can actually order really good one on Amazon!*, so there’s no excuses 😉
Anything else would be a crime you should go to food prison for.
Uuuuhm, food prison? Riiiiiight… I should stop talking for now and just give you the recipe. Here it is. Please stay friends with me, even if I ramble incoherently. Thank you ♥
Risotto with Bacon and Brussels Sprouts
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion. chopped
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 1/3 cup white wine
- 3 cups hot broth
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 8 slices bacon cut into strips
- 4 cups brussels sprouts quartered
- In a large skillet heat the oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook for 2-3 minutes or until starting to soften. Add the rice and continue cooking for 1-2 minutes until the rice turns slightly translucent. Deglaze with the white wine.
- Add a few ladles of broth until the rice is just covered. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring often, until most of the broth has been absorbed. Repeat this process until all the broth has been used up or until the rice is done. This should take 15-20 minutes.
- In a separate frying pan cook the bacon until crispy while the rice is cooking. Add the brussels sprouts and continue cooking until done, about 8-10 minutes.
- To finish the risotto, stir in the Parmesan cheese and the cold butter. Serve topped with the bacon and brussels sprouts.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)
* I make a commission for purchases made through these links.