So much better than frozen fish sticks! This Crispy Oven Fried Fish gets super crunchy and will be a new favorite for kids and adults alike.
Is it any secret that I’m obsessed with all things oven fried?
I didn’t think so. Because here’s the list of recipes on Savory Nothings so far:
- Crispy Oven Fried Chicken
- Garlic Parmesan Oven Fried Chicken
- Buttermilk Oven Fried Chicken
- Homemade Baked Chicken Nuggets
- Oven Fried Shrimp Tacos
I mean, busted. And I didn’t think I needed to add another, but here we are…
… with this Oven Fried Fish Recipe!
It is basically baked breaded fish, but I always have a few tricks up my sleeve to make anything oven fried extraordinarily good.
Fish sticks were one of my major cravings early in my third pregnancy, and I gotta admit… I just bought the frozen stuff, because morning sickness and cooking just don’t mix.
But honestly? It’s just not the same. This homemade breaded fish blows frozen fish sticks out of the water by far!
How to Make Breaded Fish
This recipe is all about the right techniques and tips!
How to Bread Fish
The trick to getting batter to stick to fish for oven frying is pretty simple. It’s all about dipping the fillet pieces in the right ingredients in the right order:
First, into a mix of breadcrumbs, flour, cornmeal, seasoning and baking powder (the baking powder helps the batter to rise a little, so the moisture from the fish makes it less soggy) for a thin coating.
Then into beaten egg.
And finally thickly coat with the breadcrumb mix again. So simple!
How do you cook battered fish in the oven?
To get the fish super crispy in the oven, there are a few things you HAVE to do (yes, HAVE TO. Nothing is optional in this recipe 😉):
- do NOT line the pan
- use a DARK pan (I will often use a roaster like this one so I get less splattering in the oven – this is an affiliate link and I will make a commission for purchases made after clicking through)
- preheat the pan in the oven until it’s sizzling hot
- don’t skimp on the butter
- finish under the broiler (but don’t burn the fish!)
- let the fish rest for 3-4 minutes after baking, but not for much longer
What do you serve with oven fried fish?
We love this so many different ways!
- in a sandwich bun with slaw
- with mashed potatoes, peas and homemade remoulade
- with rice and a big salad
More delicious fish recipes:
Crispy Oven Fried Fish
For the Breading:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons fine cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
For the eggs
- 2 large eggs
For the fish
- 1 pound thick white fish fillet I prefer cod cut into pieces, I do about 8-10 pieces
For the pan
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- Prep: Preheat oven to 430°F. Put a dark-colored roaster OR baking sheet in the oven to heat it up – the pan you use to bake the fish on needs to be hot to melt the butter on!
- Make breading: Mix all ingredients for the breading in a shallow dish.
- Prep eggs: Add eggs to a SEPARATE shallow dish and beat well.
- Bread fish: Dip fish into breading to lightly coat. THEN coat fish with egg. FINALLY, coat fish with breading again, this time you can really pack on as much as will stick! (Just place breaded fish pieces on a plate until you’ve breaded them all.)
- Melt butter: Remove the pan from the oven – careful, it’s hot! Add 3 tablespoons of the butter to the pan to melt. Spread all over the pan and put the fish pieces on.
- Bake: Bake the fish for 10 minutes. Flip, add the remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and finish baking for 5-10 minutes or until the coating is crispy and the fish is cooked through. Finish under the broiler for 2-3 minutes.
- Finish: Let the fish pieces rest on the pan for 5 minutes after baking, then serve immediately.