Put a quick dinner on the table with this Baked Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon recipe. It’s so easy to make and tastes absolutely delicious – perfect for those busy weeknights!
I have to say, I feel incredibly lucky that both my kids enjoy fish as much as they do.
And not just as Crispy Oven Fried Fish, aka homemade fish fingers!
They love fish in pretty much any shape or form, so we have it for dinner at least a few times every month.
This is one of my favorite ways to make salmon (or most fish – it’s very similar to my Garlic Butter Lemon Baked Cod!). Easy, quick and so helpful to have in your backpocket on those super busy weeknights!
How to Bake Salmon in Foil
What cut of salmon should I use?
You can either use pre-cut fillets or an entire side of salmon for this recipe.
The side of salmon tends to take an extra 5-10 minutes compared to the fillets. The exact baking time will always depend on the thickness of your salmon though.
Can you bake this lemon garlic butter salmon from frozen?
Yes, you can! It’s not my preferred thing to do because it tends to overcook the outside until the middle is done.
But do you ever forget to take meat or fish out of the freezer for dinner? Yep, me too.
For those “oops moments” it can be an absolute lifesaver to be able to bake salmon from frozen.
Just follow the recipe. The salmon will take approximately twice as long to bake from frozen vs thawed or fresh.
How long to bake salmon at 400
I hate to be so vague, but the exact cooking temperature will greatly depend on the exact size and thickness of your salmon fillet.
It’s generally safe to say it takes around 15 minutes to cook salmon fillets in the oven at 400°F though.
An entire salmon side may take a little longer and small fillets may be done closer to the 10 minute mark.
You can tell the fish is done when it flakes easily with a fork. To be safe, check the internal temperature at the thickness part with an instant read thermometer.
What is the safe internal temperature for salmon?
The USDA recommends cooking salmon to an internal temperature of at least 145°F to be safe for consumption.
I recommend getting an instant read thermometer, I love using mine and never have to worry about under- or overcooking dinner again.
You can get one here on Amazon (FYI, this is an affiliate link and I earn. commission for purchases made after clicking through).
What can you serve with Baked Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon for dinner?
We love this salmon with a veggie and a starch on the side.
When I’m feeling incredibly lazy, I just throw some sliced zucchini, peppers and onions on a sheet pan, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and herbs and put the dish with the salmon right next to it so everything cooks in the oven at the same time 😉
Baked Lemon Garlic Butter Salmon
- 1.5 pounds salmon fillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 1/2 lemon juice only
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter diced
- Prep: Preheat oven to 400°F. Place a large piece of aluminum foil in a large rimmed baking dish that will comfortably hold all of your salmon (the baking dish is to catch any drippings – way easier to clean than your oven!).
- Season fish: Lightly grease the foil with olive oil. Place the salmon fillets on top (they can be close together if using individual fillets, just not on top of each other). Drizzle with 1 tablespoon olive oil and evenly scatter garlic on top. Drizzle with lemon juice and sprinkle with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Dot with butter. Seal foil over salmon.
- Bake: Bake for 10-15 minutes (depending on the thickness of your fillets) or until salmon flakes easily. Serve immediately.