Perfect for when you need a quick meal: Made in one dish with tomatoes, olives and onions, this Mediterranean Baked Cod is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner!
Baking fish makes prep so simple, and adding olive oil, tomatoes and garlic to the baking dish infuses the fish with so much flavor! for more baked cod recipes, see my Garlic Butter Lemon Baked Cod, or my Crispy Oven Fried Fish!
Does fish intimidate you? Because confession: It definitely intimidates me.
Which is why, honestly? 99% of the time, I bake my fish.
It’s easy, it creates a sauce as it bakes and it’s as hands-off as it will get with fish.
This recipe for Mediterranean Baked Cod
- gets baked with the veggie right along in the same dish as the cod for minimal clean up. I’m always in favor of less dishes to wash!
- is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner that comes together in a flash
- creates a luscious and tasty sauce right as it bakes – perfect for serving over rice!
This is one of my favorite healthy fish dinners for my family: Absolutely delicious AND on the table in 30 minutes. Win!
How to Bake Cod with Mediterranean Vegetables
Read on for the detailed step instructions, or scroll down for more tips like the internal temperature cod should reach, what other fish you can make this with and the printable recipe card!
1 – Prep: Preheat the oven and lightly grease a baking dish that comfortably holds all your fish pieces.
2 – Cut the vegetables: Mince, slice and chop the onion, garlic and cherry tomatoes.
3 – Assemble the dish: Place the fish in the prepared baking pan and scatter with the prepared vegetables. Add sliced olives and drizzle with olive oil, then season. Finally, pour some water into the dish and evenly dot the fish with butter.
4 – Bake the fish in the hot oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.
Tips for This Baked Cod Recipe:
- To keep the cod from sticking to the baking dish, make sure to lightly wipe the dish with olive oil before adding the fillet pieces.
- If you have skin-on fillets, place the fish with the skin down to reduce the risk of sticking.
- use chopped, de-seeded tomatoes in place of the cherry tomatoes if you don’t have any available
How long to bake cod:
The exact baking time depends on the thickness of your fish pieces. Around 20 minutes is what mine usually need.
It’s best to check the temperature with a kitchen thermometer (FYI, this is an affiliate link and I’ll make a commission for purchases made after clicking through).
What temperature should cod be cooked to?
I cook the cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (check with a kitchen thermometer (FYI, this is an affiliate link and I’ll make a commission for purchases made after clicking through) in the thickest part of the fish).
Another tell-tale sign your fish is done is opaque flesh that flakes easily.
Can you use a different fish?
Yes, this recipe is delicious with any white fish that bakes in 15-20 minutes.
Choose thicker, firmer fish fillets for best results.
We love serving the baked cod with rice. It’s also delicious with a big green salad and a chunk of my super easy Homemade French Bread on the side to mop up all of that sauce!
Mediterranean Baked Codmade it? tap the stars to add your rating!
- 1.5 pounds cod fillet
- 1 small red onion OR large shallot (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes (halved)
- ¼ cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- ¼ cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter (chopped)
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a rectangular baking dish that will comfortably hold all your cod pieces and tomatoes and place the fish inside.
- Add vegetables: Scatter the onion, garlic, tomatoes and olives around the fish.
- Season: Drizzle the olive oil all over the ingredients in the dish. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper.
- Finish and bake: Pour the water into the dish. Scatter the butter evenly over the dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes and fish are cooked.