Mediterranean Baked Cod Fillets
Perfect for when you need a quick meal: Made in one dish with tomatoes, olives and onions, this Mediterranean Baked Cod is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner!
Does fish intimidate you? Because confession: It definitely intimidates me.
Which is why, honestly? 99% of the time, I bake my fish.
It’s easy, it creates a sauce as it bakes and it’s as hands-off as it will get with fish.
This recipe for Mediterranean Baked Cod is no different – and you even bake the veggie sides right along in the same dish as the cod for minimal clean up. I’m always in favor of less dishes to wash.
This is one of my favorite healthy fish dinners for my family: Absolutely delicious AND on the table in 30 minutes. Win!
How to Bake Cod with Mediterranean Vegetables
How to keep the fish from sticking to the baking dish:
To keep the cod from sticking to the baking dish, make sure to lightly wipe the dish with olive oil before adding the fillet pieces.
If you have skin-on fillets, place the fish with the skin down to reduce the risk of sticking.
How long to bake cod:
The exact baking time depends on the thickness of your fish pieces. Around 20 minutes is what mine usually need.
It’s best to check the temperature with a kitchen thermometer (FYI, this is an affiliate link and I’ll make a commission for purchases made after clicking through).
What temperature should cod be cooked to?
I cook the cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 145°F (check with a kitchen thermometer (FYI, this is an affiliate link and I’ll make a commission for purchases made after clicking through) in the thickest part of the fish).
Another tell-tale sign your fish is done is opaque flesh that flakes easily.
Can you use a different fish?
Yes, this recipe is delicious with any white fish that bakes in 15-20 minutes.
Choose thicker, firmer fish fillets for best results.
Mediterranean Baked Cod
- 1.5 pounds cod fillet
- 1 small red onion OR large shallot chopped
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 pound cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 tablespoons butter chopped
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a rectangular baking dish that will comfortably hold all your cod pieces and tomatoes and place the fish inside.
- Add vegetables: Scatter the onion, garlic, tomatoes and olives around the fish.
- Season: Drizzle the olive oil all over the ingredients in the dish. Sprinkle with Italian seasoning and season with salt and pepper.
- Finish and bake: Pour the water into the dish. Scatter the butter evenly over the dish. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tomatoes and fish are cooked.