Pear Crisp is a simple seasonal dessert that’s quick and easy to prep. Loaded with fall spices, cranberries and a juicy pear filling, this is the perfect treat for autumn.
Do you love crisp? You better. Otherwise I don’t know if we can stay internet friends.
I have a borderline unhealthy obsession with crisps. And with Harry Potter, as long as we’re talking about those kinds of things.
I even made a savory crisp once, gasp.
Anyways, pear crisp.
This delicious, warm, fall spiced pear crisp is what we’re here for today.
It’s filled with warming spices, real maple syrup and has the delicious addition of ground nuts in the topping – for extra flavor and depth. So good.
You can even make it ahead. Keep it in the fridge for up to 12 hours for an easy-peasy dessert.
My best tips for a foolproof pear crisp:
- Always make the topping first, then stick it in the fridge while you prep the filling. That way you get more of a crumb-y streusel topping vs a runaway situation.
- I make the filling right in the baking dish. I add everything to the dish and toss with clean hands. It’s a little messy, but I’d much rather wipe down my counter than wash an extra bowl.
- This makes a not-too-sweet crisp. I hate to drown fresh fruit in sugar, but feel free to up the sugar in the topping to 1/2 cup and add more maple syrup or some brown sugar to the filling, too.
- If you don’t have nuts (or are allergic), just sub in more oats. It will work just as well.
Last but not least… I know everyone loves a scoop of ice cream on top of their crisp… But can I be honest? I way prefer a spoonful of tart yogurt.
I did the whole ice cream thing for the photos here, but honestly:
If you’ve never had cool, fresh yogurt on a warm crisp? Try it. It’s nothing short of amazing.
P.S: The Harry Potter books, not the movies. I mean, they’re OK… But the books? Pure magic.
Get the printable recipe here:
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup - 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup ground hazelnuts OR almonds
- 1/2 cup Rolled Oats
- 1/2 cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- pinch of Salt
- 5 tablespoons Cold Butter
For the Filling:
- 8-10 small pears, cored and thinly sliced (enough to tightly pack a 7x11 baking dish)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- Make topping: Place brown sugar, ground nuts, oats, flour, cinnamon, cardamom and salt in a medium bowl and mix well. Cut in cold butter until you have a bowl filled with pea-sized crumbles. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Make filling: Preheat oven to 360°F. Place all ingredients for the filling in a 7x11 baking dish and toss well.
- Bake: Evenly batter topping over the filling. Bake for 30-40 minutes, or until filling is bubbly and topping is browned. Rest the crisp on a cooling rack for 10 minutes before serving.
The links below are affiliate links and Learn a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.