For the broth:
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the meatballs:
- 1.5 lbs frozen meatballs Swedish-Style or Homestyle work best
To finish the gravy:
- 1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Whisk together ingredients for gravy in 3-4 quart slow cooker. Stir in meatballs and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours or on HIGH for 2 hours.
- To finish the dish, whisk together evaporated milk and cornstarch in a measuring jug. Pour into broth in slow cooker and stir well. Finish cooking on HIGH with the lid removed for 15-30 minutes, or until sauce has thickened. Check for seasoning and add salt and pepper as desired.
TipsIn case the gravy doesn’t thicken enough, whisk another 1-2 tablespoons of cornstarch into a little bit of half and half or beef broth until smooth. Stir into the gravy and cook until thickened (be careful with this though and do not add more cornstarch than needed, or you’ll be making a Swedish Meatball Sauce pudding!).
Side dish ideas
For the full IKEA experience, make sure you have some Lingonberry Sauce on hand. I did have a jar in the fridge but completely forgot about it until we finished eating, so alas, no sauce in my photos 😉