All the delicious flavors of a traditional Lasagna – packed into one easy soup! Made in one single pot on the stove, this is a cozy and satisfying family meal you’ll absolutely love!
I can hardly be the only person who loves lasagna… But doesn’t really love making it all that much. Most certainly not during a regular week! That’s where Lasagna Soup comes to the rescue – same flavors, a fraction of the work and dishes!
My lasagna soup uses Italian sausage AND lean ground beef for that perfect balance between flavor and protein. I also pack in some celery and carrot for that veggie boost. Serve with a spoonful or seventeen of Ricotta 😉 and dinner is done in a snap!
📹 Full Video Instructions
🥣 Step by Step
1 Brown both meats, breaking them up as they cook. Make sure to remove the sausage casing before adding them to the pot! Then add veggies and sauté, then stir in tomato paste and Italian herbs.
2 Add broth, diced tomatoes and tomato sauce and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
3 Add pasta into the simmering soup, a bit more broth and simmer until the pasta is done. Serve with a dollop of ricotta and a bit of parmesan cheese!
By the way, I always use short pasta shapes with a curly edge vs broken up lasagna, because it cooks faster and is easier for the kids to eat. Plus… No pasta breaking to be done, for the extra-lazy among us 😉
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 2 Italian sausages (casings removed)
- 1 medium onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 large carrot (peeled and sliced)
- 2 sticks celery (sliced)
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Italian herbs
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (15-oz) can tomato sauce
- 8 cups beef broth
- 6 oz small pasta shapes (uncooked)
- salt & pepper (to taste)
- ricotta (or another soft cheese and parmesan shavings, to serve)
- Brown meat: Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add ground beef and sausages and cook until browned, crumbling the meat as it cooks. Drain if desired.
- Sauté vegetables: add onion, garlic, carrot and celery to meats in the pot. Sauté for a few minutes, then stir in tomato paste and Italian herbs.
- Cook Soup: Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and 6 cups beef broth to the pot. Stir well, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, covered, until vegetables are softening; about 15 minutes.
- Add pasta: Add uncooked pasta to soup, along 1 more cup beef broth (add more as needed to thin soup to desired consistency once pasta is done). Simmer uncovered for 10-15 minutes, or until pasta is done. Check for salt & pepper, then serve immediately with a dollop of ricotta and some parmesan cheese.