These crispy chicken wings are the perfect game day snack! The sticky honey lime glaze takes them to the next level.
We do eat pretty healthily around here, but some foods are just better left a bit… Less healthy 😉 I especially count party food into that department. There’s been these Sticky BBQ Slow Cooker Meatballs, these Sticky Sweet Chili Chicken Wings and the amazing Chicken Skewers with Satay Style Peanut Sauce.
But there could definitely never be a fun game day without crispy chicken wings at our house! So today I wanted to share one of our favorite crispy chicken wing recipes with you!
How this recipe works
These are fried to perfection, then coated with an unbelievably easy honey and lime glaze. For everyday meals I usually bake our chicken, like in this Crispy Oven Fried Chicken and these Healthy Baked Chicken Nuggets for example! But as an appetizer? Frying is allowed!
- If your fryer is not large enough, please fry the chicken in batches! I had to do this in three batches.
- You don’t need a deep fat fryer to fry your chicken wings. You can heat an inch of oil in a deep pan and check the temperature with a food thermometer to shallow-fry your wings. As always when working with hot oil, be extremely careful about splatters and spills.
- I’m a stickler about chicken being fully done, so when I fry it I always check the internal temperature with a food thermometer because it can be a little harder to gauge if it’s done.
Chicken wings FAQs
According to the FDA, you’re looking for an internal temperature of 165°F in chicken wings. See this government food safety chart for more information.
If you deep fry your wings, the sauce needs to go on after you cook them.
If you’re making a larger batch or only have a small fryer, you may wonder how to keep the already fried wings crispy. You can heat your oven to 200°F and place the fried wings in the hot oven on a rack. Make sure to place a rimmed sheet pan lined with aluminum foil right below the rack with the wings to catch any drippings.
All of us always end up with sticky glaze all over our hands, but that’s the way it’s supposed to be! Right? By the way, it’s also VERY delicious with my homemade teriyaki sauce as a glaze instead. Yum!
This recipe has become an absolute stand-by for us, and I’m hoping it will became one of your family’s favorites as well!
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Honey Lime Crispy Chicken Wings
For the glaze
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 small limes juice and zest
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- salt & pepper to taste
For the wings
- oil for frying
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika or chili powder
- 3 pounds chicken wings
- Whisk all glaze ingredients together in a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a second bowl, combine the flour, salt and paprika (or chili powder) until mixed well. Heat one inch of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. You’ll know it’s hot enough if you dip a wooden spoon into the hot oil and bubbles appear.
- Dip the chicken wings in the flour mixture and fry them until golden brown and crispy on both sides, about 8 minutes total. I had to do this in three batches.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked on the inside and golden and crispy on the outside, remove from the skillet and drain on some paper towels.
- Toss the hot chicken pieces in the glaze and serve immediately.