A quick simmered skillet of beef tips, potatoes & vegetables in rich gravy. A healthy family dinner recipe, from fridge to table in 45mins – so easy!
Feel free to leave out the mushrooms if you don’t like them. You may need to add a bit more beef if you choose to do so and have very big eaters at home – the mushrooms help stretch the beef a little.
The wine is there to add flavor, but no worries: The dish tastes delicious without, too. Just use the same amount of stock in place of the wine if you don’t want to use it.
If you happen to be out of beef stock, use chicken stock instead. You can even use water – I recommend adding a spoonful of soy sauce and a little Worcestershire sauce to the dish if you do so.
The bay leaf is completely optional, so no worries there if you don’t keep them on hand!
Step by step photos
I recommend only browning the beef around 30 seconds per side – otherwise it may turn out tough. Brown it in two batches if necessary, so you don’t overcrowd your skillet!
Make sure to brown the mushrooms well for lots of amazing flavor.
Deglazing just means to pour a liquid into the hot pan to scrape the browned bits off the bottom – so much flavor there!
Once the potatoes are done, thicken the gravy some more to your liking. Stir well while pouring the cornstarch slurry into the pan – if you don’t stir this, it may just end up lumpy.
Make ahead instructions
This is what you can prep for this recipe up to 24 hours in advance:
- chop the onion and keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge (this can get a little smelly though!)
- chop the carrots and keep them in an air-tight container or sealed freezer bag in the fridge
- slice the mushrooms and keep them in the fridge in a covered container
I do not recommend prepping the potatoes ahead of time, they tend to turn brown very fast.
Watch the recipe video
Side dish ideas
For more vegetables, add green beans or a side salad with homemade ranch. And if you need an extra starchy side for big eaters, try my homemade bread or my easy cornbread!
More beef recipes
Potato, Beef Tips and Gravy Skillet
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 pound beef tips
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 large carrots diced
- ½ pound mushrooms quartered
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ¼ cup red wine OR use water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- black pepper to taste
- 2.5 cups beef stock add a little more if the beef and potatoes look dry!
- 1 bay leaf optional
- 1.5 pounds baby potatoes diced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch stirred into 3 tablespoons water to make a slurry (optional for a thicker gravy)
- Brown beef: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef and cook about 30 seconds on either side, until browned.
- Sauté vegetables: Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and carrots to the skillet and stir well. Allow to cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the mushrooms and cook until they're starting to soften.
- Deglaze the pan: Stir the tomato paste into the skillet and cook for 30 seconds, then pour in the red wine. Allow the wine to cook away before sprinkling the flour over the beef and vegetables. Stir it in very well, until no white spots remain.
- Cook: Pour the stock into the skillet and stir well. Season with salt and pepper and add the bay leaf, if using. Allow to come to a boil before stirring in the potatoes. Reduce the heat to medium-low and allow the skillet to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are done.
- Thicken: Finally, stir the cornstarch slurry into the skillet (be quick or it won't work) and simmer until gravy has thickened. Double the cornstarch if you like a thick gravy.
More recipe information
More Skillet Recipes:
Recipe first shared on Food Fanatic here: Skillet Beef Tips and Gravy.