For the Topping:
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup chopped pecan nuts
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup cold butter
For the Filling:
- 3 medium apples (cored and diced)
- 2 medium pears (cored and diced)
- 1 cup fresh cranberries (large ones halved)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (or more to taste)
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Prep: Heat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a deep 7×11 inch baking dish.
- Make topping: In a medium bowl, stir all topping ingredients EXCEPT for butter together. Cut in cold butter until crumbs form (use clean hands, a pastry cutter doesn’t work as well due to the nuts). Set aside in the fridge.
- Make filling: Combine all ingredients for the filling in a large mixing bowl, stirring well to evenly distribute the sugar and flour.
- Assemble: Place the filling in the prepared baking dish. Evenly cover the fruit filling with the chilled topping.
- Bake: Bake the crisp for 35-40 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the topping is golden and the filling is bubbly. Rest on a rack on the counter for 10-15 minutes before serving.
Step by Step Recipe Video
We love fruit desserts a lot around here, and this recipe for a Holiday Crisp (aka an Apple, Pear and Cranberry Crisp) is one of my favorites for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
This recipe was actually one of the first ones I shared here on Savory Nothings, and it was in desperate need of an update. Well, here it is now – transported from its 2014 blogging days into 2019 glory.
I updated it to be even easier and better – a little more sugar in the filling so the cranberries don’t taste too tart, and a much simpler and quicker preparation. Now it’s perfect, if I dare say so myself. Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and you’re set 😉