This Simple Beef Stew is a delicious and hearty comfort dinner perfect for the colder months! Very little hands-on time!
Fall, where art thou?! Really, the weather has been acting crazy around here this year! First we had hardly any snow, then summer was miserable (no complaints there #3rdtrimesterproblems) and now October wants to be the new August.
Granted, there’s a few cold and rainy days thrown in every now and then but apart from that?
I could run around in shorts and teeny-tiny tops – if it weren’t for the slight, ahem, curves my baby girl has left behind on me.
But guys, am I seriously talking about the weather? Let’s stop that right there and turn to something a gazillion times more interesting.
Can you guess what? Can you, can you, can you? Well, it’s not that hard is it?
If I’m not thinking about sleep or baby toes (so freaking cute!) then I must be thinking about food. Well, what can I say… You got me!
Because THIS! This stew, it’s the best. Nothing sophisticated, just plain good honest food.
There’s tender pieces of beef just melting in your mouth, flavorful vegetables and a delicious amber liquid bringing it all together.
It’s something to make when you need comfort, warmth and little time at the stove since this can be left to simmer away in proper stew-manner while you answer your eMails, paint your nails or watch Gilmore Girls (don’t even try to deny it).
Now I know it might not exactly be that cold yet but seriously? Right now I’m doing just about everything to give me that golden glowy fall feeling – because I know not too far from now a cold, wet and foggy November is waiting around the corner.
Have you ever noticed that sudden change from golden to bleurgh?
Every year I feel like I completely miss fall with the leaves changing color and crisp air in the mornings and oh, the apple picking… Because all of a sudden it’s just dark, cold and unpleasant.
Aaaaand guys, I’m back to weather. Helpless, aren’t I?
Maybe I should just give you the recipe and excuse myself for the day?
Yes, yes. Maybe I should indeed do that. Over and out.
Simple Beef Stew Recipe
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 2 tablespoons oil divided
- 2 pounds lean beef stew meat cubed
- 5 shallots chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 5 cups water
- 2 leaves bay
- 1/2 pound potatoes cubed
- 1/2 pound carrots cubed
- 1/2 pound celeriac cubed
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat. Add one tablespoon oil and brown the meat in two batches, using the remaining tablespoon of oil for the second batch. Put all the meat back into the pot and ad the shallots and garlic. Cook until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and roast until fragrant, stirring often. Deglaze with the red wine and cook until the alcohol has evaporated. Add the water, bay leaves and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 45 minutes.
- Add the carrots and celeriac to the pot and continue simmering for 20 minutes. Add the peas and finish cooking for 10 minutes or until the meat is very tender.
- Check for seasoning before serving with crusty bread.