This Skinny Crunchy Stuffed French Toast filling is so fresh and creamy! The perfect lighter breakfast or brunch recipe.
This stuffed french toast recipe, I swear. It will make you happy. You might be asking yourself – how in the world will this Skinny Crunchy Stuffed French Toast make me happy? I mean, a French toast recipe? Breakfast? Really?
But you know the saying, don’t you?
The one thing your mom kept telling you when you wouldn’t get out of bed in the morning.
What you know deep down when you’re racing to the vending machine at 10.30 am. Because putting on make-up is more crucial than eating something before going to work.
Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.
I have to confess – I’m not always a dedicated breakfast eater. I’m certainly not a morning person, no matter what all those infographics about becoming one overnight say. It just simply sits right with me to stay in bed until lunchtime and then eat a sandwich in my sweats. But can I do this every day?
Speaking of infographics – I love making my own. I’m weird like that. And I made one for YOU about stuffed French toast. It’s awesome (and probably quite unnecessary…).
Well, I wish I could. I really do. But there’s things like uhm, life, that make it seriously difficult. So when I don’t have any time at all, I pick something easy like this Streusel Topped Blueberry French Toast Casserole.
But when I don’t want to share with anyone, then I like this Skinny Crunchy Stuffed French Toast to make my morning blues go away (OK, I also need coffee to achieve this). Full of cream cheese and fresh strawberries and coated in crusty-crunchy cinnamon sugar goodness. But make sure to use a really good pan, or all that yummy crust is going to stick to the bottom and give you tears.
So in short – yes, this Skinny Crunchy Stuffed French Toast will indeed leave you with a happy, happy feeling.
Make your mom proud and
kick your make-up habit in the curb – no really, who would ever give up make-up? This is a fast recipe so you truly can have it all here – with this awesome breakfast and brunch dish.
Not only did I feel like a glowing domestic goddess eating this for breakfast, you will as well. Pinky promise.
- 4 tablespoons low fat cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- 4 tablespoons whole grain bread crumbs, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 8 strawberries, hulled and sliced
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 teaspoons oil, divided
- To make the filling mix the cream cheese with the honey and set aside.
- In a shallow dish whisk the eggs and milk together.
- On a large plate combine 2 tablespoons bread crumbs, ½ tablespoon sugar and ½ teaspoon cinnamon.
- Heat ½ teaspoon oil in a large non-stick frying pan. To assemble the French Toast, spread a slice of bread with ¼ of the cream cheese mixture. Top with two sliced strawberries and cover with a second slice of bread. Coat first with the egg mixture and then with bread crumbs. Fry over medium-high heat until golden brown and crunchy, gently pushing down on the edges of the bread to seal.
- Continue the same way with the other six bread slices. Halfway through wipe the plate with the coating mixture clean and mix the rest of the bread crumbs, sugar and cinnamon for making the other two French Toasts.
- Serve warm with additional strawberries.