Make dinner time easy with this Cheesy Cornbread Chicken Tamale Pie Casserole recipe! Full of delicious flavors your whole family will love!
You know how hard it is to make summer-y comfort foods that are not only super tasty but also super easy?
I’ll tell you. It’s very hard.
I’m most likely exaggerating but I’ve been all about the one pot pasta dinners lately and decided I need to switch things up a bit. So I went through my blog archives to see what I could make.
Southwestern Chicken Cornbread Casserole? Sounded nice enough and I called it easy waaay back when I was
still young and beautiful very pregnant.
Uhm, it was definitely pre-baby easy. And if I’m going to make a casserole it doesn’t only have to be delicious but also speedy.
Nothing better than a tiny human changing the way you look at one tiny word.
There were a few other things I wasn’t happy with so I tested and re-tested the recipe until I found my happy place.
And then I thought – why not add an updated version to the blog instead of hiding the old recipe in the archives?
Plus my photography wasn’t nearly as awesome as I thought it to be back then so new pictures would be nice.
But who am I kidding?! No tamale pie casserole is ever going to win any beauty contests.
Ugly cheesy pictures, tasty dinner with just 20 minutes prep time – it’s a win in my books!
Also, if you’re a fan of step by step pictures – here’s the recipe for this tamale pie casserole in completely downloadable and printable PDF format, complete with pictures to guide you through every step!
And I promise, this time it’s mom-of-five-toddlers easy.
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup chopped peppers, 130g, about 2 small
- 1/4 cup chopped onions, 45g, about 1 small
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, 140g
- 12 ounces cooked and shredded chicken, 340g
- 1 cup salsa, 225g
- 1 cup barbecue sauce, 250g
- 1 1/4 cups cornbread mix, 155g
- 1/3 cup sour cream, 75g
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese, 120g
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Heat the oil in an oven safe skillet (about 9 inches (23cm) wide). Add the peppers, onion and corn and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the shredded chicken, salsa and barbecue sauce. Flatten and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- In a medium bowl stir together the cornbread mix, sour cream, egg and melted butter. Gently spread over the casserole filling, careful not to mix them together. Leave a small edge to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 15-20 minute in the middle of the preheated oven.
- Scatter the cheese over the top and finish baking for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is all bubbly and melted.