I love a good chicken casserole, and this one if one of my favorites: Shredded chicken in a southwestern inspired BBQ sauce, topped with a fluffy cornbread topping!
There is nothing like a cozy casserole. This one is super easy to whip up with shredded chicken (use rotisserie chicken!) and cornbread mix.
Recipe tips and tricks
- If you prefer to make your cornbread from scratch, feel free to use your favorite recipe!
- You can cut the cheese in half if you want to make a lighter meal
- Feel free to use a heaping cup of frozen seasoning blend in place of the onions and peppers the recipe calls for. Makes prep even easier!
This is really an all-in-one meal, so you don’t need much with it! I like to add a fresh, crisp salad on the side. My favorites with this Chicken Tamale Casserole are my No Mayo Coleslaw and my Tomato Cucumber Salad.
Make ahead instructions
You can make the filling up to a day ahead. Place it in the casserole dish and keep chilled until ready to use.
Stir up the cornbread mix right before baking and spread on the chilled filling. Baking may take 5-10 minutes longer, as the filling is cold.
- Chicken Broccoli Rice Casserole
- Baked Spaghetti Casserole
- Bolognese Gnocchi Bake
- Southwestern Baked Chicken
PS If you try this recipe, why not leave a star rating in the recipe card right below and/or a review in the comment section further down the page? I always appreciate your feedback! You can also follow me on Pinterest, Facebook or Instagram. Sign up for my email list, too!
Cheesy Cornbread Chicken Tamale Pie Casserole
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 cup diced peppers
- ¼ cup chopped onions
- ¾ cup corn kernels
- 12 ounces cooked and shredded chicken
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 ¼ cups cornbread mix
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- Preheat the oven to 390°F (200°C). Heat the oil in an oven safe skillet (about 9 inches (23cm) wide). Add the peppers, onion and corn and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes.
- Take off the heat and stir in the shredded chicken, salsa and barbecue sauce. Flatten and smooth the surface with the back of a spoon.
- In a medium bowl stir together the cornbread mix, sour cream, egg and melted butter. Gently spread over the casserole filling, careful not to mix them together. Leave a small edge to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 15-20 minute in the middle of the preheated oven.
- Scatter the cheese over the top and finish baking for 2-3 minutes or until the cheese is all bubbly and melted.
More recipe information
Also, if you’re a fan of step by step pictures – here’s the recipe for this tamale pie casserole in completely downloadable and printable PDF format, complete with pictures to guide you through every step!