Turn a classic special-occasion meal into an easy one pot weeknight dinner with this Instant Pot Stroganoff recipe. Try this beef stroganoff pressure cooker recipe the next time you’re in need of a quick and easy dinner!
Ingredients for Beef Stroganoff
This recipe is made with the traditional ingredients you find in beef stroganoff, including beef chuck roast, sour cream and beef broth. The special twist is cooking the egg noodles right in the instant pot with the beef and sauce!
2 tablespoons butter
1.5 – 2 pounds beef chick roast, cut into strips
Salt & pepper, to taste
1 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups beef broth
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 (12-oz) package wide egg noodles
1 (8-oz) pot sour cream
- use cheap stewing meat in place of the chuck roast; increase first pressure cooking time to 20 minutes
- use cornstarch in place of the flour, gluten free noodles and gluten free Worcestershire sauce to make gluten free. check your ingredients to make sure they’re all certified gluten free before using.
- use diced chicken breast in place of the beef chuck roast. reduce first pressure cooking time to 3 minutes.
- whole milk Greek yogurt can be used in place of the sour cream
Equipment Needed for Instant Pot Stroganoff
You need the following equipment ready:
- a knife and chopping board
- measuring cups and spoons
- a wooden cooking spoon
- an electric pressure cooker
- a plate to set aside the browned beef
1 – Brown the Beef:
To make sure the meat turns out flavorful, season it well with salt and pepper before browning.
To brown, set the instant pot to “sauté” and melt some butter in the inner pot.
To make sure the beef actually browns (and doesn’t turn soggy), work in three batches to brown it. Don’t stir too much while browning the meat, or it won’t brown enough – more color equals more flavor!
Remove the browned beef to a clean plate and set aside.
2 – Start the gravy:
Next, stir the chopped onion, garlic, mushrooms and thyme into the hot instant pot.
Cook until softened, about 3 minutes, while stirring from time to time to prevent sticking and burning.
Next, stir in the flour and cook for about one minute while stirring constantly. Make sure it doesn’t burn!
Finally, stir through the beef broth and Worcestershire sauce, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot (make sure you get them all or you may get a burn warning).
Switch off the instant pot, the. stir the meat back into the pot.
3 – Pressure cook:
Close the lid and set the valve to the “sealing” position.
Press the “manual” or the “pressure cook” button (depends on your instant pot model) and set the timer to 12 minutes.
Once the cooking time is up, let the instant pot do a natural pressure release for 4-5 minutes, then manually release remaining pressure.
4 – Cook the noodles and finish the dish:
Open the lid and stir the dry egg noodles into the pot.
Close the lid again, setting the valve to “sealing”. Choose “manual” or “pressure cook” and set the timer to 3 minutes.
Once the cooking time is up, quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions. Open the lid and stir through the sour cream.
Pair this Beef Stroganoff With:
Print the Recipe:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1.5 - 2 pounds beef chick roast, cut into strips
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 pound mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 (12-oz) package wide egg noodles
- 1 (8-oz) pot sour cream
- Brown beef: Season beef generously with salt and pepper. Set Instant Pot to sauté and melt butter in inner pot. Working in 3 batches, brown beef. Remove beef to a plate and set aside.
- Start gravy: Add onion, garlic, mushrooms and thyme to inner pot and cook until starting to soften, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in flour for one minute, then stir in beef broth and Worcester sauce, scraping any browned bits off the bottom of the pot. Stir meat back in.
- Pressure cook: Close lid, set valve to „sealing“ and cook on „manual“ or „pressure cook“ setting for 12 minutes. Once time is up, let stand for 5 minutes, then quick release pressure.
- Cook noodles: Open pressure cooker and stir in dry egg noodles. Close lid and set valve to „sealing“. Cook on „manual“ or „pressure cook“ mode for 3 more minutes. Quick-release pressure according to manufacturer’s directions.
- Finish dish: Open lid. Stir in sour cream, check for seasoning and serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 662
Instant Pot Sour Cream Pork Chops
These Instant Pot Sour Cream Pork Chops are an easy and delicious main dish recipe the whole family will enjoy.
Instant Pot Turkey Pumpkin Chili
Instant Pot Turkey Pumpkin Chili is an easy and delicious dinner recipe for cozy fall nights!
Instant Pot Chicken Tortilla Soup
Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup in the pressure cooker.
Instant Pot Beef Stew
An easy stew made in the instant pot.
Instant Pot Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes Dinner
Your dinner made in the instant pot, all at once!
Instant Pot Irish Stew
Perfect for St. Patrick's Day!