The New Italian Pasta Salad: This is the modern way to make everyone’s favorite classic BBQ season side dish! Filled with plenty of healthy goodies and a homemade (EASY!) Italian dressing, this is a pasta salad that doesn’t have to hide. The best cold salad addition for your next summer potluck!
This salad is packed with fresh basil, arugula, tomatoes black olives and two cheeses. A true favourite!
Easter is over – time for summer recipes!
Kidding. Sort of.
But isn’t it always the same? You anticipate a holiday, make allthecute holiday food – and by the time it actually rolls around, you’re already sick of it ?
Please tell me I’m not the only one! But it has its ups as well – I’m in the mood for summer today!
Which is why I made this Italian Pasta Salad for us – but not the traditional way. Oh no. This baby has some modern twists up its sleeve!
For one, there’s no mayo. No cream cheese. No jarred pesto.
Instead it’s filled with all the good stuff:
Tomatoes. Black olives (that salty briney-ness tho!). Dried Tomatoes. Mini buffalo mozzarella.
Do not even attempt to use regular mozzarella, or this salad will get mad at you.
Then there’s arugula and plennnty of fresh basil. Winning.
Don’t even get me started on that homemade Italian dressing! So good.
The best part of the balsamic vinaigrette is how easy it is to make:
Oil, balsamic vinegar, honey, salt and pepper meet in a mason jar. Someone screws on a lid and shakes. The vinegar says: “Oh man, I feel really shaken up today!”
And that, my friend, is officially the worst joke living on Savory Nothings.
Nevertheless, this pasta salad is quite possibly the best summer dish living on this blog.
OK, there’s actually a few other firm favorite salad recipes on here.
This one though? You need to make it.
Watch the Italian Pasta Salad recipe video here:
For the Dressing
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Salt & pepper, to taste
For the Salad
- 1/2 pound short pasta shapes
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 2 ounces sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
- 1/4 cup black olives
- 1/3 cup chopped basil, not packed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 ounces arugula salad
- 1 cup mini buffalo mozzarella
- 1 ounce parmesan shavings
Make the Dressing:
- Mix all dressing ingredients in a small jar and store it in the fridge until you're ready to use it.
Make the Salad:
- Cook the pasta according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water.
- Add all salad ingredients except for the cheeses to a large salad bowl. Toss well. Add the cheeses and carefully toss again (I like to do it this way so the parmesan doesn't break up too much). Add the dressing just before serving (no need to soak this salad!).
Nutrition (this is an estimate)