This Homemade Pumpkin Tots recipe is the ultimate fall makeover of the potato version! Super easy to make with just one can of pumpkin and a few pantry staples – no egg, so they’re completely vegan. Don’t miss the video instructions at the bottom!
I loved tater tots when I was little.
Whenever my mom pulled a bag out of the freezer to bake them up I could hardly wait for dinner to be ready.
And I still love them now, even though I frequently burned my tongue because I just couldn’t resist biting into them fresh out of the oven. The soft filling was worth it every time though!
I’ve seen tater tot recipes pop up all over Pinterest the last few months and I finally wanted to make on myself.
And what better to make them with during fall than pumpkin?
I wasn’t sure how they would turn out, since I tried making them without eggs and most recipes I’ve seen included them.
I can be a bit picky about baked things with eggs in them, unless it’s cake. Or cookies.
But luckily they turned out incredibly well!
These homemade pumpkin tots can either be baked or shallow-fried, depending on what you like better.
We’ve been eating them non-stop and are not planning to end this anytime soon.
Homemade Pumpkin Tots Recipe
* These are affiliate links and I make a commission for purchases made after clicking through.
- 1 can 15oz pumpkin purée 425g
- 1/4 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Coating
- 1/2 cup whole wheat bread crumbs
- Olive oil or cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking tray with parchment paper or coat with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine all ingredients for the tots and stir together until combined.
- Pour the bread crumbs for the coating into a bowl. Shape the pumpkin dough into tots and dip each tot into the breadcrumbs until coated.
- Put the tots onto the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Brush or spray with olive oil and bake in the upper half of your oven for 15-20 minutes. Carefully turn the tots over, brush or spray with more oil and finish baking for another 10-15 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.
Nutrition (this is an estimate)